whitbywoof

Terms of endearment

Does anyone else have problems using terms of endearment?

Even as a child, I baulked at the prospect of writing something like "lots of love" or "love from" in a birthday card, and alwas plumped for a straight-forward and heartless "From".

As an adult, works like "darling" or "love" just don't come out of my mouth - I'm even self-concious about addressing people directly by name and tend not to gain the attention of the correct person in the room first by calling their name.

I am in a permanent and stable relationship, but the best he gets when I'm talking affectionately is "mush" or "mister". The only time I'm able to use a traditional term of endearment is with heavy sarcasm when we're sharing a joke.

And yet it's not the words themselves as I can pour out "I love you"s and "Darlings" to my dog, but it all seems so false for people, even when there is genuine affection.

If I want to tell my partner that I love him, I'm more likely to do it through the dog - to be in earshot of my partner while I talk to the dog, saying something like: "Do you think daddy knows that I love him?"

Does anyone else do this or understand it?

Does anyone else do this or understand it?

totally ....i feel freeked if someone tries to hug me ...i totally get what you say ....

I'm the same, and I'm NT (I think - though I am beginning to wonder!) I find it impossible to write "love from" in cards when I really don't love the person - like at christmas time. I also find it impossible to say it spontaneously to a partner, in person - though I can just about manage to squeeze it in by text. However I say it to the kids all the time!