Sign in to follow this  
mbrown

Don't read this if you have just eaten

Hello Everyone, Sorry to bring up this nauseous subject - excrement smearing - but I have a friend in desperate need of help.

Her boy, 8 years old is smearing it on absolutely everything self, walls, even little brother.

Are there any threads here dealing with this?

Any hints and tips on avoiding and preventing it?

I have done a few searches and all I seem to find are blogs from parents who just say that it is happening to them but can't find any solutions anywhere.

I would appreciate any comments.

Mike

Sorry. Like you i know lots who have this problem.

At work we just use a star chart or reward system if they go to the toilet and clean themselves properly.

Sorry can't come up with any magic cures.

mummy x

Hi

I had similar problems with my son who at the age of 12 was still having *accidents*. He didn't notice when he needed to go to the loo.

Some children smear because they don't know how to wipe themselves. There's information about this in the NAS website.:

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1071&a=3366

There's no easy solution, just try not to react to it emotionally and as Mummy says, a chart and a reward system can be useful.

CurraXX

We have never had this problem, but I do remember someone once suggesting that it may be that the child likes the sensation, so to try diverting by using something like playdoh??

Also, I think you would need a different approach if the lad was maybe wearing pads and doing it during the night or when bored, than if he was able to go to the loo independently and was doing it then. You would need to tailor the approach to the lad's level of understanding.