Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

Carbonara

After watching Gordon Ramsey last night, I've been inspired to try and cook meals from scratch. I went throught a similar phase when I became slightly obsessed with watching Nigella Lawson, and had visions of wandering around a kitchen, in cashmere, licking chocolate off a spoon, while in truth, DH ususally came home to find me in filthy PJ's, with lunch spilt down them, ramming half a viennetta down my throat :ph34r: Have got today's sorted, Shepherds Pie, which I cook from scratch anyway, but tomorrow I was planning Spaghetti Carbonara, using a Dolmio sauce. Does anyone have any EASY recipes for carbonara......and is it possible to make it low fat.....I'm assuming it will involve lots of cream :unsure: Also...any tips for making your own garlic bread? Dh reckons the novelty will wear off by the weekend, and we will be back to good ole Colmans :thumbs:

Hi

I have an easy version for you and because it uses Quark it is quite low in fat too!!Creamy Spaghetti Carbonara

Serves 4

(Extra easy) Ready in about 20 mins

2 eggs

2 egg yolks

2oz / 57g quark

salt and freshly ground black pepper

14oz / 397g dried spaghetti

2 garlic cloves

12oz / 340g bacon

Fry Light

4oz / 113g Parmesan cheese

1. Place the eggs and egg yolks in a bowl and beat. Add the quark and stir until smooth. Season well and set aside.

2. Boil the spaghetti according to packet instructions, drain and set aside.

3. Meanwhile, crush the garlic remove all visible fat from the bacon and cut into small strips, place in a pan sprayed with Fry Light and cook for 4-5 mins. Add the spaghetti and egg mixture, remove from the heat and toss until the spaghetti is well coated with the egg. Divide between four bowls, grate the Parmesan cheese over the serve.

DO NOT keep on heat once egg mixture added as quark separates, still edible just doesn?t look good. The heat from the pan is enough to cook it.

It tastes sooooo nice! :eat1:

As for garlic bread, buy a small french stick. Cut slits in it but not all the way through. mix butter with finely chopped garlic or garlic paste and some parsley and put a spoon full in each slit. I then wrap in foil and pop in oven for 10 mins. This too tastes lovely.

Happy cooking!

:eat:

Quark is 99% fat free soft cheese. Normally found in the same area of the supermarket as philidelphia. I buy a 250g tub which is more than enough so sometimes I make carrot cake and use the quark for the yummy topping for that too.

:thumbs:

Tobyjoemum,

I'm so sorry for not replying sooner......i've just replied on to a post on the recipe thread, and it jogged my memory about this..........

It turned out really well :thumbs:

Thanks again >:D<<'>