Sign in to follow this  
Zorro

Diagnosis

I had hour and half initial assessment last week.......Psychiatrist then phoned my parents for 1/2 an hour to ask them about me. Psych said to me "you see patterns" in a positive acknowledging manor.

I know he knows Im Aspergers. He clearly knows I know he knows I know Im Aspergers.

I can debug any doubts he throws at me in a second.

Question is.....will he diagnose me this Thursdays return meeting or do I have to go through more ###### and tests etc?

Anyones help would e appreciated...T.I.A.

Hi Zorro,

It's impossible to be sure, because everyone works in different ways. My assessment lasted 2 hours, but I was told of the diagnosis during the appointment. If your assessment is like mine, you will probably be told your diagnosis on Thursday. It does sound as though the 2nd meeting is for the Dr to talk over the assessment with you and discuss his opinions. But the psychiatrist may be unsure about some things and need to ask you more questions or do more tests before he can make the diagnosis.

Good luck on Thursday. I hope you get some answers.

It will depend if he is qualified to give the diagnosis or if he needs to refer you on to someone else - there are not that many who are actually qualified to make the diagnosis (at least not a diagnosis that would be recognised by the NHS and acceptable for support services).

I was really interested by this phrase:

I know he knows Im Aspergers. He clearly knows I know he knows I know Im Aspergers.

The first bit, I can just about work out what you mean though I'm not sure how you know - it's all a bit mind readingish to me. The second part reminded me so much of the episode of Season 5 from Friends 'Where everyone finds out' :lol::lol: - 'Ah, but they don't know that we know they know we know they know' - sorry excuse my associative memory and my strange choice of programme for building social understanding!!! :wacko:

Mumble (who should go back to her Mop) :rolleyes:

HIYA :thumbs:

I DO HOPE YOU GET YOUR DIAGNOSIS SOON.

I AM AWARE THIS VARIES FROM ONE REGION TO ANOTHER, MY SON (OKAY HE IS 12), HAS BEEN UNDER THE CHILD PAEDIATRICIAN FOR COMING UP A YEAR SHE DONE ALL HIS ASSESSMENTS, WAS SENT RECORDS, REPORTS, ASSESSMENTS FROM THE EDUCATION PSYCHOLOGIST, SENCO, THE HEAD OF YEAR 7 ETC.

WE HAD DONE A QUESTIONAIRE REGARDING TRAITS FOR ASD.

ALTHOUGH SHE STATED HE SUFFERS FROM HIGH ANXIETY LEVELS AND MENTIONED ITS DEFINATELY ASPERGERS, SHE IS NOT IN THE POSITION TO DO THE OFFICIAL DIAGNOSIS.

MY SON WAS REFERRED TO CAMHS IN JAN THIS YEAR BY HIS CP, AND ATTENDED HIS FIRST APPOINTMENT LAST WEEK, THE DOCTOR EXPLAINED HE HAD EVERYTHING SENT FROM THE CP THAT SHE HAD FROM THE ASSESSMENTS, HE ASKED MY SON QUESTIONS, OF WHERE HE HAD SPOKEN UP AND SAID HE FEELS DIFFERENT TO OTHER PEERS OF HIS AGE GROUP, HIS DIFFICULTIES, AND SAID HE STRONGLY BELIEVES HIMSELF HE HAS (AS).

HE HAD READ UP A LOT OF INFORMATION FROM THE COMPUTER THAT WAS ADVISED FROM THE CP, AND SAID HE HAS MANY OF THE TRAITS FOR (AS).

BASICALLY HE WAS JUST GOING OVER THE QUESTIONS THE CP HAD ALREADY WENT THROUGH AND ASKED US (THE PARENTS) ABOUT THE PREGNANCY/BIRTH AND FAMILY HISTORY.

WE WERE SENT AWAY WITH A QUESTIONAIRE, A DIFFERENT ONE TO THE LAST ONE, THIS ONE WAS 'BEHAVIOUR & SOCIAL COMMUNICATION' OF 40 QUESTIONS TO TICK EITHER YES OR NO.

THE DOCTOR WANTED US TO SEND THIS BACK ASAP IN ORDER TO LOOK THROUGH THIS BEFORE THE NEXT APPOINTMENT.

WE HAVE SINCE RECEIVED THE APPOINTMENT LETTER, THIS WILL BE ON THE 12TH JULY, THE FIRST APPOINTMENT WAS AT ANOTHER HOSPITAL, BUT THIS ONE IS GOING TO BE AT THE CAMHS UNIT ITSELF WHICH IS MORE LOCAL TO US FOR TRAVELLING, AND WILL BE SEEING THE SAME DOCTOR.

THE DOCTOR DID MENTION, HE IS AWARE THAT THE SCHOOL HAS REQUESTED FOR THE OFFICIAL DIAGNOSIS IN ORDER TO KNOW WHAT FURTHER SUPPORT TO GIVE, EVEN THOUGH HE HAS THIS SUPPORT NOW, SINCE WE HAVE ATTENDED A FEW MEETINGS WITH SENCO AND THE ED PYSCH TO UPDATE ISSUES.

SO WHEN THE OFFICIAL DIAGNOSIS WILL BE MADE I DO NOT KNOW.

HOPEFULLY YOURS WILL BE RESOLVED VERY SOON.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU, ALL THE BEST.

DI X :thumbs:

HIYA :thumbs:

I DO HOPE YOU GET YOUR DIAGNOSIS SOON.

I AM AWARE THIS VARIES FROM ONE REGION TO ANOTHER, MY SON (OKAY HE IS 12), HAS BEEN UNDER THE CHILD PAEDIATRICIAN FOR COMING UP A YEAR SHE DONE ALL HIS ASSESSMENTS, WAS SENT RECORDS, REPORTS, ASSESSMENTS FROM THE EDUCATION PSYCHOLOGIST, SENCO, THE HEAD OF YEAR 7 ETC.

WE HAD DONE A QUESTIONAIRE REGARDING TRAITS FOR ASD.

ALTHOUGH SHE STATED HE SUFFERS FROM HIGH ANXIETY LEVELS AND MENTIONED ITS DEFINATELY ASPERGERS, SHE IS NOT IN THE POSITION TO DO THE OFFICIAL DIAGNOSIS.

MY SON WAS REFERRED TO CAMHS IN JAN THIS YEAR BY HIS CP, AND ATTENDED HIS FIRST APPOINTMENT LAST WEEK, THE DOCTOR EXPLAINED HE HAD EVERYTHING SENT FROM THE CP THAT SHE HAD FROM THE ASSESSMENTS, HE ASKED MY SON QUESTIONS, OF WHERE HE HAD SPOKEN UP AND SAID HE FEELS DIFFERENT TO OTHER PEERS OF HIS AGE GROUP, HIS DIFFICULTIES, AND SAID HE STRONGLY BELIEVES HIMSELF HE HAS (AS).

HE HAD READ UP A LOT OF INFORMATION FROM THE COMPUTER THAT WAS ADVISED FROM THE CP, AND SAID HE HAS MANY OF THE TRAITS FOR (AS).

BASICALLY HE WAS JUST GOING OVER THE QUESTIONS THE CP HAD ALREADY WENT THROUGH AND ASKED US (THE PARENTS) ABOUT THE PREGNANCY/BIRTH AND FAMILY HISTORY.

WE WERE SENT AWAY WITH A QUESTIONAIRE, A DIFFERENT ONE TO THE LAST ONE, THIS ONE WAS 'BEHAVIOUR & SOCIAL COMMUNICATION' OF 40 QUESTIONS TO TICK EITHER YES OR NO.

THE DOCTOR WANTED US TO SEND THIS BACK ASAP IN ORDER TO LOOK THROUGH THIS BEFORE THE NEXT APPOINTMENT.

WE HAVE SINCE RECEIVED THE APPOINTMENT LETTER, THIS WILL BE ON THE 12TH JULY, THE FIRST APPOINTMENT WAS AT ANOTHER HOSPITAL, BUT THIS ONE IS GOING TO BE AT THE CAMHS UNIT ITSELF WHICH IS MORE LOCAL TO US FOR TRAVELLING, AND WILL BE SEEING THE SAME DOCTOR.

THE DOCTOR DID MENTION, HE IS AWARE THAT THE SCHOOL HAS REQUESTED FOR THE OFFICIAL DIAGNOSIS IN ORDER TO KNOW WHAT FURTHER SUPPORT TO GIVE, EVEN THOUGH HE HAS THIS SUPPORT NOW, SINCE WE HAVE ATTENDED A FEW MEETINGS WITH SENCO AND THE ED PYSCH TO UPDATE ISSUES.

SO WHEN THE OFFICIAL DIAGNOSIS WILL BE MADE I DO NOT KNOW.

HOPEFULLY YOURS WILL BE RESOLVED VERY SOON.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU, ALL THE BEST.

DI X :thumbs:

Hi again

Sorry for my capital letters on my last post, need to purchase a new keyboard I think, this one is has been giving me so many problems, resolved it for now, oh and please excuse my grammer, sorry.

Anyway again, good luck with your diagnosis.

Di x :thumbs:

Mumble....the explanation of the phrase is that he clearly knows a fair bit about Aspergers as its a big and common thing these days. He knows that I will have analysed everthing he said and the way he said it in detail over and over again afterwards and would have noted his tone and wording......he very clearly not only believed me ...but believed iIN me.

Ive always seen patterns but never knew that I see patterns. Since he said that and I left the interview my IQ seems to have exploded and I can solve things at redicululous pace that i know nothing about ...i actually look for patterns in everyday life now. I can tell why my parents have the same rediculous argument every Sunday lunch now by analysing patterns in my head. Ive explained it to them so hopefully that should stop.

All the info is out there in life ...you just need to see it. I feel like Neo from the Matrix now.

I even worked out in seconds why my video didnt record a program the other day. Its because I had had taped something on Sat night and only watched half of it...intending to watch the rest the next day. Id already preset to record another program the next morning....and thought to myself...good job it failed to work otherwise it would have taped over the rest of the film i hadnt yet watched. Immediately I saw a pattern. Aspies think in detail to make life easier. They can see the end result of things done so tweek things in life (OCD) to ensure things dont happen. I thought if i were the video manufacturer I would tweek the video so you could not accidentily tape over a program you hadnt finished watching. Then i thought ....aspies are probably the ones designing Hi tech stuff so they HAVE probably thought of that......guess what ...I tested the theory out the next day and it proved right. Im now seeing patterns in the ways Aspergers think and act. I watch House everyday and am becoming more and more like him everyday.

Ive always thought of myself as a monkey...Im obsessed with them.

I think thats what I really am. I dont seem to know anything about anything.

Now I realise I can see patterns and can figure things out that way, I think it probably means that that is exactlly what I am...a monkey...clearly I dont have that extra 3% DNA that makes humans different from monkeys.

My nickname for years has been caveman. My social skills are really bad. Monkeys cant talk but appear very clever. They are merely seeing patterns in things and working things out that way.

That pretty much sums me up. I dont know anything about anything but can now work things out with patterns

Edited by Zorro

Well the Psychiatrist said today that he and every other Psychiatrist in the world would have diagnosed me AS in my teens, but there isnt enough (although a lot ) now for him to feel he wants or needs to diagnose. He said I seem to have adapted and know my problems and get around them so did not feel inclined to diagnose.

i wont be getting a 2nd opinion as this has caused way too much anxiety for me. I will live with it.

Its actually the best possible result for me. He confirmed I am AS without making it official. So I can still look at the condition and study how to make life easier for myself without the process of having to tell people (which would cause me anxiety) or get singled out for being AS.

Thanks all for contributing.

Well the Psychiatrist said today that he and every other Psychiatrist in the world would have diagnosed me AS in my teens, but there isnt enough (although a lot ) now for him to feel he wants or needs to diagnose. He said I seem to have adapted and know my problems and get around them so did not feel inclined to diagnose.

i wont be getting a 2nd opinion as this has caused way too much anxiety for me. I will live with it.

Its actually the best possible result for me. He confirmed I am AS without making it official. So I can still look at the condition and study how to make life easier for myself without the process of having to tell people (which would cause me anxiety) or get singled out for being AS.

Thanks all for contributing.

Hi Zorro,

Glad things have sorted out for you to what you want, and yes I believe it can cause a lot more anxiety, so if your happy with that without an official diagnosis and have coped well thats good.

All the very best to you.

Di x :thumbs: