CEJesson

DSA Assessment

Hey Ive applied for university DSA (disabled student allowance) and have an assessment next tuesday in Lincoln - its 2-2.5hrs long!! But will hopefully determine an answer to what Ive already said in accommodation and past finance applications about my autism.

Fingers crossed.

Mine was that long - I found it a really useful opportunity to talk through some issues with someone who really understood AS and how it impacts on university students. Of course the AoN is only the beginning - getting support from the university is a much harder fight. That's a pinned thread on DSAs in 'Beyond Adolescence' that might be useful to you.

But will hopefully determine an answer to what Ive already said in accommodation and past finance applications about my autism.

I didn't understand what you meant by this?

Mine was that long - I found it a really useful opportunity to talk through some issues with someone who really understood AS and how it impacts on university students. Of course the AoN is only the beginning - getting support from the university is a much harder fight. That's a pinned thread on DSAs in 'Beyond Adolescence' that might be useful to you.

I didn't understand what you meant by this?

what I meant was, in my application form for accommodation there was a big section to describe my disability and how it affects me. I will be asked very similar questions I presume in this assessment so there should be some gain out of it, even if its in the form of advice.

Thanks for letting me know about that thread, I shall go and observe:)

Hi Chris,

Good luck with the assessment: let us know how it goes.

I'm moving this over to the Beyond Adolescence forum where university and college related topics tend to go. I think others will find the discussion useful.

K x

Thanks...I shall let you know how it goes.:)

Well despite the terrible weather I got into Lincoln to have my assessment. It was only my train running! and I found out once I returned home that Lincoln had flooded around/near the assessment centre!

It went well though, I felt I could describe my disability on the levels of talking to my own mother, something ive not been able to do for a long while outside home.

I shall receive a report from the assessor in 3 weeks time outlining her recommendations and then the LEA will descuss my DSA with me 2 weeks after that hopefully:)

Sounds like it went well Chris :thumbs:

Lincoln is lovely when its not flooded. It was one of my daughters choices so we had a lovely day out there having a look around, though she ended up at Lancaster in the end.

Yeah I went to school in Lincoln, so went into the centre quite frequently during the past 2 years. I used to go to Nottingham more though as both cities are about 20 miles from me. I have 2 friends at Lincoln University, I havent applied there as they dont do my course but my firm choice is Sheffield and my insurance is Oxford Brookes:)