LizK

Terrified of thunder

DS1 is terrified of the thunder. It's the loud unexpected nature of the noise that he can't cope with. If I could predict that the thunder was going to strike at 2.30pm every Monday and Friday he would be ready and cope ok. Unfortunately it's been like Noah's Ark around here the last week and everytime a drop of rain falls or it even justs clouds over he becomes panic stricken descending into distress once the rain starts to teem and uncotrollable screaming and terror if he hears a clap of thunder :( I hate seeing him like this, I could cry for him :tearful:

The thing is I have no idea how to deal with this or how to help him. He has ear defenders which he puts on but it's not really helping so much as it's the unexpected nature of it. The weather forecast is useless :shame: predicting thunder when it is not so can't rely on that :huh: Don't want to falsely reasssure DS that there won't be thunder when it rains in case I'm wrong, he takes being told the wrong thing very badly too like we've betrayed him! DH is trying to appeal to his intellect explaining what thunder is and trying to tell him what thunder clouds are but this isn't helping as it's more the unexpected noise rather than worrying about thunder per se and he's starting to get very twitchy whenever he sees a grey cloud. School have had a few tricky days as it kept clouding over and he's been distracted and preoccupied when this happens. He's reluctant to play outside in case it starts to rain too and only happy to go out if it's sunny and bright.

Living in this country and its glorious weather ;) rain is going to be a constant feature so need to find some way of helping him but not sure how? Is this the sort of phobia that will just pass maybe after an episode of decent weather (if we ever get some :rolleyes: ) Anyone else had or having these issues? Be grateful for any advice or suggestions to help my poor little boy :(

Lx

Hi Liz,

I've had a few similar episodes one with thunder and one with wind.

With the thunder we made up a rhyme about god burping! - as anything really silly seems to distract him really well

You could substiute God for Giant, HUGE pigeons etc...anything really silly. If you think he's understood now the mechanics of how and why thunder happens perhaps suggest 'pretending' it's some of those things instead.

With my son the sillier the better...after a couple of times pretending about the burps, and generally me making the most stupid rhymes/reasons I could think of, he'd look forward to me making him laugh when it thunderd.

So...not sure if if will work for you..but for us once we'd had some good weather for a while again he was much better the next time round and now doesn't bother him.

Hope it gets better for you and your son

>:D<<'>

Hi Liz,

I'm 28 and I still hate thunder - you've given an excellent description of the problem (unexpected, noisy, unpredictable . . .). I also have a problem with lightning since reading as a kid about a man being struck by lightning. I think you understanding your son's difficulties so well is the first step to helping him. It's very difficult and I'm not sure what to suggest - distractions would be a good thing (but then these need to be thought through carefully - I won't go near anything electrical during a storm in case it 'gets me' somehow) - silly I know, but beyond my control I'm afraid. Perhaps reading about why they happen might help (although you're the best judge of whether this will scare him more)? Other than that I'm not sure, I'm afraid.

Mumble :)

My son is 16 and he still has the same problem we tried all the its god moving the furniture i have also explained it as it would be in a geography class ,played games done various things ,but as soon as he sees a cloud in the sky he takes to his room ,belive it or not he is worse when he is in the house ,but thunder and lightning hysteria just takes over and there is nothing i can do to help him , it controls his life as he refuses to go out he is obsessed with weather sites that is what he has on the favorites and he checks them at least five times or more a day ,i have no solution for this at all just wanted you to know your not the only one with this problem x

I have always had a fascination for thunderstorms. I had two occur on my birthday, exactly 20 years apart, and a local building was set on fire both times. Now whoever said lightning never strikes twice!

Did you know you can detect lightning bolts several miles away using an oscilloscope with an antenna attached to it?

Has he always been frightened or is this a recent behaviour?

Can I suggest that you desensitize him with thunder recordings played at a low level, gradually increased until he can tolerate the sound. It may take months but he will improve. It sounds simplistic but we had the same issues with a little girl and fire alarms and gradual exposure in a controlled enviroment reduced her stress and she no longer has a problem.

When I'm trying to settle myself about something that's upsetting me I count to 100, then 99, 98, 97 etc all the way down to 1.

Hi

I think the key is to try and take away the mystery of thunder. My son was petrified (he's 5). I explained to him what thunder is and why it occurs. I tried to turn it into a game where you counts between bangs .... It did work. He's still understandably nervous, but once he knew what it was and started counting it's helped massively.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

It seems we have had simular weather down south! I was camping and we had the thunder and lightning and at the age of 16 I flipped and froze and screamed for dear life!!! :oops: Thankfully this occasion I was with Scouts and are all VERY supportive!

Last weekend however I was camping in wales and we had the bad weather and the thunder and again I flipped! This time ALOT more embrassing!

I know exactly how you son feels and I completly understand what happens and all!!