Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Brace yourself for more adverse publicity about AS

This has been in the news today and AS has been mentioned in connection with it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6767595.stm

There seems to be a lot of confusion over what condition, if any, this person has - he doesn't seem to have any particular diagnosis. :huh:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

The awful thing is, how can you possibly fight this kind of thing? It doesn't matter that there is no evidence of AS, the fact that the defence have tried to introduce the possibility as a 'mitigating factor' makes an association in peoples minds and this will be exploited in exactly the same way the next time something like this happens... There seems to be a standard pattern now for this kind of speculation around any incident of this nature, and though few of them seem to come to anything concrete, and despite all of the evidence to the contrary, cr*p like that sticks.

Rejecting the 'insanity plea' strategy, what is evident is that there is a different psychology at work here. That difference is NOT autism (regardless of whether the individual is or isn't autistic) and it is a 'type' of difference that transcedes all social, ethnic and cultural barriers. Despite all the research there are no indicators whatsoever to imply a greater incidence of this 'type' in the autistic community - they are just a convenient (and novel) minority to exploit and target with this kind of prejudice.

L&P

BD

Edited by baddad

Exactly.

And who is the "expert" witness who apparently can't tell the difference between AS and a personality disorder? :wacko:

K x

Guest Lya of the Nox

am not comfy with many of the things being said there :(

the strikes me as along the lines of " i have pmt" so i can kill my hubs, even tho i do not have it documented

i wonder if this is just the fashion type thing, a while ago it was "schizophrenia" and such like,

if the situation is real and with other mental health isues, then it is up to thos in power to support more so less slip through the net!

( hae i made sense at all )

There seems to be a standard pattern now for this kind of speculation around any incident of this nature, and though few of them seem to come to anything concrete, and despite all of the evidence to the contrary, cr*p like that sticks.

Which is why it is not helpful when the National Orginisation puts out written info on ways to manger your anger (for teens with AS) which includes things like 'imagine killing someone' (but don't share your fantasy)

I would like to say that this is not going out any more and that an information recall is also underway, but it should never have been put out in the first place nor the job of parents to have it withdrawn.

Cat

Which is why it is not helpful when the National Orginisation puts out written info on ways to manger your anger (for teens with AS) which includes things like 'imagine killing someone' (but don't share your fantasy)

:o:o

You can argue that anybody who commits murder has a personality disorder. I find this kind of case devastating and I doubt very much if the expert witnesses in this case have delved very far into the history of these offenders.

I would like to say that this is not going out any more and that an information recall is also underway, but it should never have been put out in the first place nor the job of parents to have it withdrawn.

Cat

Hi Cat :)

Do you mean the NAS?? :o:unsure::ph34r:

Bid

Hi Cat

Do you mean the NAS??

Yes I do and I have seen the information with my own eyes. I was alerted by a parent in our group who raised their own concerns. I also raised concerns and asked for an information recall. I have been assured that this info does not go out now and that the info had not gone out to 'that many parents' one was too many in my opinion.

I also mentioned that the press would have a field day if they set eyes on this - but to me it was the damage that could so easily result from this kind of info being circulated.

Cat

That's unbelievable, Cat :(:ph34r:

But sadly true. It went out as part of the Help2 programme. I pointed out that parents are desperate for information and help but it is essential that it is the right information and help. To be frank with you this just about blew me away.

Cat

Edited by Cat