Sign in to follow this  
Frangipani

Transition program for teens extensive

Hi,

I stumbled over this organisation through the support group for Fragile X and feel grateful I found it, I believe it is going to be the step forward my son needs and the support is extensive.

It is a transition program and they take kids from as young as 16 to ongoing adulthood, no cut off age beyond. Trains them in all life skills, from communication, grooming, cleaning, cooking, catching buses independently, banking, work skills in various types of jobs followed up with work experience in various fields. Its not just Autism Spectrum or Aspergers there are Fragile X and many other difficulties/ disabilities intellectual disabilities from moderate to multiple disabilities.

They get sponsorship from over a dozen local community clubs and RSL clubs and organisations and the support from various other intensive workshops like House with No Steps and Sunnyfield and three others. They even help do voluntary work for organisations like Meals on Wheels and various voluntary organisations to get their confidence in helping others in the community and at the same time boosting their confidence.

Beyond that they had extensive funding for exercise regimes and discounts at ten pin bowling and get them involved in many activities in leisure including barbeques and walks gardening programs.

There are many with Autism and Aspergers there and Fragile X and there are lower functioning and moderate functioning and high functioning.

Some one pinch me and say wake up Frangipani, your just dreaming. But no its for real when you go through the brochures and meet with the assessment team you realise that no stone is unturned, they have thought of everything and cover everything.

So finally all the paperwork is going through and assessment process for funding is happening, we will know by August if he has been approved as he cant get in unless he gets the funding and assessment approval, but by talking to the team and my sons Paediatrician we will be fine.

Best part of it is my son is all for it.

Fxx :wub::D

Edited by Frangipani