di30

'statement of needs'

Hi all :thumbs:

Now that Dan has had his official dx of ASD Aspergers and high anxiety levels alongside with this, would he be automatically entitled to a 'statement of needs', he is already under the Ed pysc and SENCO, and we have meetings about 3 times a yr that include the LEA.

Dan age 12 (yr7) in a mainstream secondary school is already on 'school action plus' and IEP's for his Social skills, numeracy and literacy and this has been an ongoing thing since he was 4 years old.

At the last meeting in June with all of the above, Dan asked directly to them if it were possible for when he goes into yr 8 in Sept if he could go into smaller class groups, as he cannot cope in crowded classrooms where he gets very easily distracted by noise, but SENCO said she cannot do this as he is too able.

Many of you may have read about an incident a few weeks back where Dan was skipping lessons he couldn't cope with where it came to a point that we had to report him missing from school to the police, as we did take him like we do everyday to make sure he gets there safely as he is vulnerable, but what he did was go straight into the school toilets for almost 2 and a half hours stressing !!

Dan does not take part in PE activities either and stays with the 'head of year' when this is ongoing for others, his head of yr is his acting 'mentor' for the time being.

When Dan was given his official dx the other day, the doctor said he will write a report to the school about this, and to list what help and support Dan should be receiving, as SENCO did want this advice from CAMHS as they had requested this.

The doctor did say it is important to work on his anxiety levels and this is mainly the problem when he is at school.

Any info and advice is a great help, although they say Dan is able, he is still behind academically, where he attends 'booster lessons' for the above as stated, but they should be able to give the support he is entitled to.

We will also be receiving a copy from the doctor from CAMHS of the report, so at least in Sept we can check this out, but need to know further about a statement, if one is still needed or not.

Sorry to go on, but I have no experience with this regarding statements etc, and I look forward to hearing from you, thank you very much indeed, much appreciated.

(I am aware it can vary from region to region), we are in Torfaen (Gwent) in South Wales.

Cheers Di xx :thumbs:

As a parent you can request that your son have a statatory assessment for his special educational needs as he will require substantially more help and a statement can also help you access another spersific school if you feel he needs an enviroment that caters for his needs.

Network 81 is a good website

As is ACE which is excellent for special needs letters.

If the LEA refuse to assess then you appeal and then its upto the SANDIST to decide, if after the assessment it is then turned down for a statement then you can appeal, there again at the tribunal you then get an oportunity to express your concerns if your child doesnt get an education that takes into consideration his special needs so if they feel he does need a statement these enforce the LEA to give a statement giving the required amount of support.

I would also ring the National Autistic Society Education Adcacey helpline too.

All these website links are in the Education in the post where it says Statementing tool kit heading.

Also this one.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=676

Good Luck

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Hi di,

As jsmum said, you are perfectly entitled to make a parental request for a statutory assessment... although it's a good idea to try and get the school's backing you don't actually need that.

It would be nice if a diagnosis made a stat assessment automotic, but sadly this is far from the case. If you read through the education archives on the forum you will get an idea how many people have to fight tooth and nail for their child just to be assessed. My son was dx'd aged 9 and he is only now gone through the stat assessment, and that was only after several break downs, chronic depression and he'd developed anxiety disorder. He's been out of school since March and that is why the LEA agreed to assess. If they'd done it two years ago when I first asked for it then he wouldn't be in such a terrible state now.

From what I've read of your posts it sounds like your son does have many anxiety issues around school. It depends very much on your LEA and you won't know how they will respond until a request has been made.

If you look through the IPSEA website (there is a link on the jargon buster page) there are lots of model letters, and one in particular you can use to request the LEA carry out a statutory assessment, along with fact sheets you can download.

Good luck hun

Flora X

Hi Di,

just wanted to say I hope you do get a statement for your son, as it ties the local authority to providing what he needs.

Hope you have more luck than we did about the small groups; our school SENCO said that she would have to put my son into lower level groups because of the smaller numbers, and that's where the support assistants were.

Maybe I should have fought this more, because I think he's underachieving now at 15, but it was a toss-up between smaller groups, or a more suitable level of work. It didn't seem possible to offer him both. And I suppose I thought it would take the pressure off him - he's at a mainstream school, which seemed like a tall order, especially in year 7.

It's always such a compromise isn't it

best wishes

Sarah

Hi, and thank you for your replies. :thumbs:

Hopefully we should receive the report from the CAMHS doctor this coming week, the school SENCO and the ED P is also being sent copies of these.

The Doctor did say he will add on the report what Dan requires at school and then hopefully in Sept when he will be in yr 8 they should have everything in place for him, with a bit of luck as I know there is quite a list so hopefully they will listen and go along with it, one of them is for somewhere for Dan to go whenever he feels he cannot cope, due to an incident at the school a few weeks back when he skipped lessons and hid, due to his anxiety.

I do also know he will be in some but not all small group classes, as Dan requested to go into smaller classes when he spoken to SENCO at the meeting, he admitted to her that he cannot cope and gets easily distracted by noise, where SENCO said he is too able.

He will still be under 'school action plus' and under an IEP programme, and if they cannot do a statement I just hope with what they have planned will work for him in year 8.

I am also going to send a copy of the report to the LEA too, not sure if the CAMHS doctor will go as far as sending this to them.

I will keep you posted, and many thanks again.

Cheers Di xx :thumbs:

di,

Hopefully with a few minor adjustments at school it may well be that your son's anxiety is managed properly and that he begins to find school less stressful. In my experience, the CAMHS consultants can suggest all manner of things to school but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will be implemented!!! LEA's are a law unto themselves and only seem to take notice of professionals when it suits them!!! Even with two seperate consultants saying that my son needed a stat assessment it still took until he was 13 before they agreed to carry one out.

From what you've said it sounds like your school and SEN dept are quite helpful so hopefully they'll pay attention to what the consultant recommends and all will be well.

Take care

Flora