marmalade

Help!!!

DD (5) has been grotty and unwell all weekend, nothing specific but not herself, you know?

Anyway, things have started to come to a head and she NEEDS to take some medicine.

Of course....she can't.

Does anyone else have a child who panics at the thought medicine and flatly refuses to even try to take it?

I've tried disguising it in food and drink, telling her it's cough mixture (which she has been known to take), bribery and telling her that it will make her better. I've even pranced round the living room a la Mary Poppins warbling about spoonfuls of sugar etc but all she did was laugh! Laughter, sadly, isn't always the best medicine...

Anyway, can anybody out there help me?

She needs to take something as i can't bear this much longer, she's in pain and I can't help her....

Hiya...few things I have found to work....

1. Show them how holding nose whilst swallowing means they taste nothing

2. Is there a fav flavour medicine - calpol?? - can u mix the two?

3. The one that works best for me is where I pretend that once I've got the med on the spoon it is starting to drip all over me/the floor/chair etc anything!...I say it in mad panic..'on no,,,quick J,,,it;s all dripping.,,,etc etc etc. FDor some reason that works..it makes me sound like a mad woman when I do it, but hey...think white rabbit in alice in wonderland!

4. Straight bribery...20p per spoonful...extra 10 mins tv..whatever works on the day. I pretend that I didn't mean to say extra 20 mins tv - when course I did...but he always thinks he's got a great deal then :)

5. Can you take some??

Hope something works

Take care

hi,i tell my little one that she has a naughty mouse in her mouth and i need to feed it special mouse drink,then i say

"quick she is starving"

all silly and deranged but it seems to work.

i also keep a bottle of simple linctus and say go on i will take my nasty medicine if you take yours.