Sign in to follow this  
Noetic

Weighted Gear in the UK?

I have long needed to pile lots of duvets on me to get to sleep, but with the heating on now, I just get too hot.

Does anyone know of a place to buy things like weighted quilts, vests etc. in the UK? I really crave deep pressure a lot but I'm sweating here... :wacko:

If you go to ebay and type in weighted blankets you will fing some matches, all in the US though. I think many of them are being sold by the same people as on Nellie's link.

Simon

Thanks for the links, I found lots of links but most just said they only deliver to the US or Canada.

I was actually thinking of getting a few cheap wheat bags and sewing them into an old pillowcase, so I could take them out to wash the thing, but in the long run I'd like a proper one.

Noetic

I think the way they display the postage costs on the email listing is a bit confusing. The bottom two postage options are to worldwide destinations. Best thing to do is drop an email on the address given to clear the matter up.

Simon

I think the way they display the postage costs on the email listing is a bit confusing. The bottom two postage options are to worldwide destinations. Best thing to do is drop an email on the address given to clear the matter up.

On their Ebay store, it quotes about $60 postage to the UK. The other stores I found (a while back) did only ship to the US and/or Canada (according to their own guidelines).

Edited by Noetic

I suppose it's down to the sheer weight of the thing, especially if it is being sent by email.

Simon

LOL do you think they scan them in? ;)

It is a problem with WEIGHTED goods tho I suppose!

What I meant in my last response was that my comment about not shipping to the UK was not about THOSE merchants but about those I had found before. It would be great to find a UK merchant though, the only one I know of SHOWS them on their site but no options show up: http://www.tfhuk.com/viewproduct.asp?ID={E...EB89FB}&catID=3

Have you thought of ordering a catalogue? Or sending them an email asking for the information. The post and package seems reasonable.

Mainland UK only :

Orders under �60 = 10%

Over �60 = �6

Have you thought of ordering a catalogue? Or sending them an email asking for the information. The post and package seems reasonable.

I haven't got a response from them yet. THe US site shows the weighted blankets (not cheap) so I am not sure if they even do them here. A catalogue would be poison for my finances ;)

Hi TFH uk do weighted blankets but there rather expensive.

call 01299 827820 for a catalogue, or put TFH UK in your brouser.

I got a response now:

Yes we do sell the weighted blanket In two sizes

the small Is 86 x 66 cm product no : 9wtbl & costs �115.75

the large Is 152 x 84 cm product no : 9wtbld & costs �159.75

right folks, had a message today from school they want to put a weighted vest on scottie, to try and keep him still. Must admit not having heard of weighted things, missed this thread earlier I immediately thought of physical restraint, visions of chemicals came into my mind. But after panicking I looked up weighted on this site and of course I realise that its not what I thought it was lol!

Anyway does anyone else have experience of these weighted things. Scottie loves cushions and weight piled on top of him. He is always crawling under things,burrowed like a like mole!

The amount of th etimes I almost trod on him cos he is buried lol!

If anyoen else has had experience of weighted clothes etc. could u please let me know how u get on with em, have had a quick read through the thread but will look again now.

Take care all

Hi weighted clothes and blankets certainly seem to work and calm some people down. I think as noetic said it's the deep pressure. One little lad I work with loves to lie on a mat on the floor while I roll with some pressure a peanut ball (large shape thing, larger than a space hopper) over his trunk and legs. Another girl I worked with liked nothing better than someone throwing a weighted blanket over a her and leaving her in darkness. It's worth a try and if school are willing to fund I'd let them give it a go. If it works then you could expend for yourself. Love Kat

thanks nellie and katin,

must admit scott burrows himself under blankets and cushons, god knows how he breaths but he goes still, i just have to check every now and then to make sure he is breathing. He obviously enjoys the sensation. I will speak to school tomorrow and see what they are proposing to do.

Thanks for your reassurance guys (once again).

This is such a coincidence, Max's OT yesterday told me about weighted vests, and gave me this website weightedvest.com. It was invented by a Mom of an ASD child, our OT swears by em. She says it satisfies the need for deep pressure and will help calm Max when anxious or stressed.

Sorry noetic, its for children so won't help in your case, but may help some of those looking for childrens products.

Jo

Hi all,

Lewis's OT asked me if i had anything like an old gillet type thing as she was going to experiment with putting something in the seams at the bottom to weigh it down.She also suggested that i fill a kiddie rucksack with bits n bobs and let him wear it as the deep pressure on the shoulders is quite calming for him, even letting him wear it while doing tasks/basket work. I did this but the nursery complained :wallbash: that it can't be one rule for one and another for the rest hmph (don't ask, they still think his refusal to wear his coat outside is his own difficulty and refusal to comply with nursery rules :angry: ) Lewis's OT has suggested loads of games to like the roly poly one in a blanket etc. These weighted blankets etc seem so expensive! Lycra tops (like the cycling tops or the swim outfits) was another suggestion she gave me!

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Love Kirstie.

its only an idea, but what about one of those swimming jackets, the ones in places like mothercare, they have pockets in with foam blocks that can be removed, perhaps you could replace the foam block with something heavier?

Jo

Carol,

another good idea that OT told us about was to get an old jumper and to stitch along the top of the arms, then fill the arms with rice or lentils. You then stich up the bottom of the sleeve and lie the body of jumper on a chair and when the child sits on it you put the arms over their legs, this helps them to stop fidgiting and they seem to like the security that the weight gives them.

best wishes

Donna