cattubb

We've got an appointment!! Follow up!!

Hi all,

well i can't believe it. We had our appointment with paediatritian at lunch time and he said that although Charlie will have to have a DISCO assessment he is convinced that hes got high functioning autism/aspergers and is also hyperactive. He is going to make sure that we have a helper on board for when Charlie starts school in September because as things stand he won't manage on his own. He is also going to contact the complex needs team to let them know Charlie's case is now urgent. I've contacted the local branch of NAS and i'm meeting them on Monday to find out what help/advice we can get. I can't believe everythings happened so quickly and I absoloutly love the paediatritian, he was so patient and understanding and most importantly HE LISTENED TO US!!!!

So, i suppose the hard work starts now but as least we know for sure what we are dealing with.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry!!

Cattubb.

Hi All,

That really good news, i have been reading your other posts on here, i cannot believe how quick you have managed to get help, sound like you have a great GP.

Im just wondering what a DISCO assessment is, sorry if i sound abit thick, My daughter is currently having some assessments for aspergers, but i havent heard of this type of assessment before.

Hi confusedmum

i don't really know much about all of this either but i think a DISCO (Diagnostic Interview for Social and Communication Disorders) is a lengthy assesment done by the CAMHS team or complex team (according to the paediatritian) that covers everything about your child.

To be honest i'm a bit in the dark too so if anyone else couls shed anymore light on this i'd be grateful too!!!

What assesments has your daughter had done?

cattubb

Hi Cattubb,

We had our first appointment last week, at our local combined clinic, in our meeting was a paediatritian, ed psyc and speach and lauguage therapist. our appointment lasted for 2 hours !! they filled in like child development survey, i am sorry i dont know what to call this first assessment thats why i have explained it !! lol :unsure:

We have another assessment with the ed psyc on the 29th of this month, and she is going to do an IQ test. but by the sounds of it she is having the same tests as your son, STRESSFULL INIT !! :tearful:

All i want her to do is make a friend :crying:

Hiya,

We've already had one assessment done by the ed-phsycologist but i don't know what it was called either, good eh? ha ha (the paediatritian did say today but i can't remember, too much to take in anyway) It does sound like we're about at the same stage, Charlie has had an IQ test done too. We're in the Channel Islands so i'm not sure if things are done in a different order to the UK.

How old is your daughter? I know what you mean about the friend thing, its quite heartbreaking. Charlie was at the same nursery for a year and yet he hasn't made any friends really, he's more interested in his 'Blankie' (a blanket hes had since he was a baby) and the cat! In fact at the mo he can't even bear to be around other children. :(

cattubb

My Little girl will be 5 on the 4th of Sept, Her first day at big school :tearful: im dreading it, even though there are other children from her pre school in her class, she never mixed with anyone even though went from being just 3, she loved going and misses it like crazy at the moment.

What did they do in the IQ test, did your son find in stressfull atall.

Thanks again for chatting its a big help to with somebody that going through the same, as im driving my hubby insane at the moment.

Cattubb, sounds as though they are working hard to get it all half way sorted for when he goes to school. :)

Confusedmum, you will win in the end.

Louise

Morning confusedmum,

sorry i didn't reply last night fell into my bed quite early!

IQ test was fine, the ed-phsycologist just did a series of tests using coloured blocks and patterns etc. Charlie actually really enjoyed it as his 'thing' is building with blocks, lego whatever!

Charlie starts school on 4th september too, so it'll be a big (and scary) day for everyone!

I find it brilliant chatting to other parents who are in the same position. Don't get me wrong my friends and family are absoloutly brilliant and so supportive but it really helps to talk to other people that know where you are coming from!!

Have a good day, the sun is shining!

cattubb

:groupwave: