Sign in to follow this  
Eva

stimming which wakes us up

Hi all,

I'm after some ideas to help us get some sleep...

My son does this stimming where he bounces on his bed and sort of sings and hums. This is fine in daylight hours but sometimes he wakes up during the night - in the wee hours of the morning - and does it and we are all disturbed :crying: .

Does anyone have any ideas how to quieten the nighttime singing?

Any thoughts welcome!!

Cheers,

Eva

Nope! My dd "sings" or vocalises on waking in the night (almost a nightly occurrence :tearful: ) and my only theory is that she finds the silence hard (that or night time tourettes :lol: ) But you ask her to stop and she does but you see the pressure building and seconds later off she goes again :wacko:

I bought her a cot mobile which has 18 mins of music and has animals on (her obsession) it does seem to help. Also trying to work out the logistics of playing a CD in her room all night as white noise to stop the waking. Hmmmm, who knows......seriously who does know and can they tell us! :pray:

Good luck

A x

Edited by aro

Is it the singing or the bouncing that is waking you up?

You can get those small trampolines for exercising, which might be quieter.

Perhaps he could listen to music through headphones . . . although it might be worse if he decides to sing along!

Don't have any solutions, but things that might help...

some sort of distracting low-level lighting (you can get a nightlight that projects a slowly rotating solar system onto the ceiling, among others)

very low-key background music... i bought ben a cd alarm clock recently which has a 'repeat album' setting' and he listens to this on nights when he can't get to sleep... he knows his Underworld/Queens of the stoneage albums are Off limits at night, but appreciates the night-time alternative of new-age 'mountain streams' or swirling seascapes, and there are some less vomit inducing 'chillout' albums full of newage noise and backbeats!

If sleeping is an absolute impossibility, and you're trying to deal with the disruption for others rather than addressing the night time 'routines' directly, a good collection of comics/books might be an option...

Basically, I think the key is redirecting the bouncing/singing into something less problematic. If he has any other big interests (toy cars? trains?) quiet optios surrounding one of those might fill the gap between him and the rest of the house waking.

Hope that helps

L&P

BD :D

Hi and thanks for your replies!

Tally, it's definately the singing which is louder than the bouncing - very hard to sleep through!

I've now got a box of books beside J's bed and a torch and have told him that he can read, (but quietly), if he wakes up and can't get back to sleep.

J does listen to a cd while going off to sleep initially and maybe that's something worth introducing too. Nice soothing sounds, like the music they have at dentists to distract you from the drill, whales singing isn't it...well, on second thoughts, maybe not...but mountain streams and frogs could work. (Baddad, what sort of music/sound are backbeats? I only learned what Emo was a couple of months ago).

Aro, my son is just the same, you ask him to be quiet and it lasts only a second before the vocalising starts up again!

Ta all,

Eva