Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

Piggies

We've two male guinea pigs. We were advised by the shop that one would almost certainly become the dominant one, and if they began to fight, we would need to take it to the vet for an op :whistle:

I'm beginning to worry about how far we let it go before doing something about it. The quieter, larger one is the most dominant. It will now not allow the smaller more inquisitive one into the covered area, and although the smaller one has access to food and water at all times, the larger one can be quite aggressive and shoo it away.

Last night they really scared me, by becoming really agitated with each other, making awful noises (prelude to a fight me thinks) and the larger one was chasing the smaller one round the cage. They immediately stopped when we went over, and the larger one ran into the covered area, as it usually does when it spots us. It doesn't seem as brave as the other one.

Is this normal behaviour and do we wait to see if it settles down? Neither of them has been bit and I'd rather not start booking op's........would prefer to separate. In a quandry though, as I know they like to live together, rather than alone, and wondering if I should buy another cage, and put them next to each other?

Would welcome any advice :)

Guest Lya of the Nox

ours altho ladies, do the same thing

sam brought home some pipe and one now lives in it, the dispute seemed to be over the living/sleeping/hiding area!!!

one of my work collegues is very good on all of this and i will ask her on monday for u

but i am sure peeps will come along with more advice for u

xxx

Id separate them now before one of them gets hurt to be honest. I think cages next door to one another would be fine. I'd love piggies - a good friend of mine back home breeds them and when we were up last week she had new babies - too cute. She has something like 14 of her own piggies, and then all her babies for sale.

Lynne x

On Friday I could bare the bullying no longer, and DH nipped out to buy another cage before I left to see friends for the weekend. We seperated them, and put their cages side by side. They looked really unhappy! When I got back this evening, the smaller one, is continually biting the bars of his cage, and the noise is driving me nuts.....ho hum :rolleyes: