Karen A

Praise for school and SENCO

Hi.I feel I have spent the last year fighting to get provision for Ben at his primary school and thought that was how it is.

Having been around here a while it does tend to make one feel negative about education :wallbash::wallbash:

Our elder son has just started at secondary school.Some of you may remember he had a tough patch last year and was off school due to anxiety for several weeks.

Well the last few days have been tough as he has found the change difficult and is finding it hard to settle.

However the Senco could not have been more helpful.Support was found on Wed at 5mins notice.Today the Senco appeared at the front school door-apparently on instinct -so that DS did not need to go through main entrance.

Our elder son had never been identified at his previous school as having SEN because he is accadaemicaly very able.However the current Senco happened to talk to us at an introductory meating and decided to keep an eye on him ''Just in case''.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: Is all I can say.I now know that it is possible for schools to be helpful and supportive.

I cannot describe the relief at not having to battle and explain.

OH could go to work today without having to worry -knowing that the school have things in hand.Karen.

Hi Karen

I am glad that you have a really good SENCO and that Ben seems to be settling in. Niamh's SENCO at her mainstream primary was very good with the paperwork side of things (sorting out Statement, funding etc) but not so hot on actually dealing with Niamh - didn't help that she was SENCO at both the Infants school (where Niamh went) and the junior school so wasn't there half the week. We found her quite patronising and would speak to Niamh like she was thick :wallbash: . Having said that her SENCO at playgroup was lovely so I think it's all down to luck.

Emma

Thanks for sharing Karen, thats great news and very encouraging. Although I do complain about school I do know our SENCO and her team do try hard, but are inconsistent and seem to think all children with ASD's are the same.

So pleased to hear everything is going well.

Clare x x x

That's really great news, Karen. :D:thumbs: So glad you've found good support and hope the year goes really, really well for you all. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Hi Karen

That's really good news for you all, I hope everything goes well for you all. Makes me feel a bit better about finding a secondary school!

BW

AV

Karen,

Brilliant news! It makes such a difference to have a good SENCO.

Things finally are starting to work out for both my two. My daughter's primary had a new SENCO last year and the difference is amazing. Everyone seems to be working to together, things are being done properly, all the kids with statements had a transition book with photos of their new teacher, LSA and classroom. We've been given the weekly timetable and curriculum timetable for the whole year so we know exactly what the kids are going to be doing topic wise and what trips they're going on when! She also has a brilliant teacher and new LSA this year, so far, it's still early days but it looks like she could be in for a good year.

My 13 year old son has finally made it to top group in his secondary school. This is a boy who was in all bottom groups in year 5 and level 2 of the national curriculum. He's predicted to get level 7s at the end of this year (year 9)! He's happy, settled at school, has some good friends and doing very well academically. It just goes to show what the right support and a bit of understanding can do.

After battling the LEA for so long (5 years!!!!) to get to this stage, I can honestly say, it has most definitely been worth every letter, meeting, tribunal and tear I've shed to see them both so happy and I know I would never have been able to do it without the support and advice from this site.