Confusedmum

School want to apply for Statement

Hi all :)

My dds school want to apply for a Statement for her, this is all very new to me as DD hasnt yet got an official Dx.

I know that getting statement would be a really big help for DD, as she has only just started reception (last week) and is already having a few problems.

But what i am unsure if we would get one as dd is really bright, so would it be best if we applied for a statement or is it best to let the school take care of it ??

Brilliant school!! :notworthy::thumbs:

Personally, i'd let the school start the process - and then chip in your bits too. Most LEA's tend to take more notice of statutory assesments if they come from school. You will get to have your say in the parental advice, where the LEA will ask for your thoughts. :)

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/sevenfixes.htm

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/advice/booklets/Assessment.html

:)

Hurrah for that school!!!

Here are the grounds for asking for an assessment - which is the start of the process of deciding whether a child needs a statement:

This is from the SEN Code of Practice ... available online at http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/3724/SENCodeOfPractice.pdf

(NOT RECC FOR LIGHT READING!)

Don't be put off by the severe and complex bit ... most children with autism fit this as they cover most of the categories!!!

7:52 This guidance does not assume that there are hard and fast categories of special

educational need. It recognises, as LEAs will recognise, that each child is unique and that

the questions asked by LEAs should reflect the particular circumstances of that child.

LEAs should recognise that there is a wide spectrum of special educational needs that

are frequently inter-related, although there are also specific needs that usually relate

directly to particular types of impairment. Children will have needs and requirements

which may fall into at least one of four areas, many children will have inter-related needs.

The impact of these combinations on the child?s ability to function, learn and succeed

should be taken into account. The areas of need are:

communication and interaction

cognition and learning

behaviour, emotional and social development

sensory and/or physical.

7:53 Although needs and requirements can usefully be organised into areas, individual pupils

may well have needs which span two or more areas. For example, a pupil with general

learning difficulties may also have behavioural difficulties or a sensory impairment. Where

needs are complex in this sense it is important to carry out a detailed assessment of

individual pupils and their situations. However, the accumulation of low-level difficulties

may not in itself equate with a school being unable to meet the child?s needs through

school-based provision. In some cases pupils will have needs that are not only complex

but also severe.

PS - the only problem may be that the LEA will say that the school can't show that they've put in enough measures of their own and/or that they haven't given sufficient time for their measures to bear fruit :wallbash:

Edited by UltraMum

Agree with everyone- this school is great.. We had something similar in our case when S1 was in nursery (attached and managed by a primary school) he was really bright but had so many problems; the school worked hard with us and statemented him-- he received a lot of support which then was transfered with him to another school , we only had a diagnosis when he was in Y5 in an attempt to ease his transition to secondary (and make it easier for everyone to under his needs).. He just started Y7 last week and so far things seem good.

I would work hard with this school and not to worry that there is no diagnosis yet this can follow on later.

Good luck

Hi

Sound's like you have a great school there! Niamh wasn't given a Statement until she was in Year 2 (after she was dx with Aspergers). In fact, her school never mentioned it until she was being assesed for ASD. She is also very bright (she could count to 100 at 3, knew all her letters at 2 and a half etc and now has a reading age at least 18 months higher than her actual age. However, due to lack of support during half of her time at mainstream, she lost interest in learning for a while (especially maths) but is catching up now.

Good luck!

Hi Confused mum,

I was told that if the school apply for the statement there is no time limit it can take forever. If the parents apply the strict time guidelines for each stage of the statementing process fall into place.

Hope this helps Julieann