jlp

Isn't it frustrating..

..when you spend 8 months or so wrangling the finer details for a statement, get it finalised exactly right then no-one seems to take any notice of it!

Apart from the full time support which has started, there's no 'area', no visual timetable, no home school diary and who knows what else.

I know I'm whinging and being pedantic and I'm relucant to complain yet as ds seems to be fine (apart from running away one day but he was persuaded in)so they'll say / think he doesn't need them and think I'm a complaining mother, but it's bothering me. I spend blooming ages getting the statement right.

You arent whinging & you arent being pedantic, if its in his statement they are supposed to provide it.

We had all of those things for JP & they werent even ON his statement. And he really needed them.

Looks like you are going to have to get on at them - good luck >:D<<'>

Apart from the full time support which has started, there's no 'area', no visual timetable, no home school diary and who knows what else.

Pearls right, these things are very important and always will be to your son. Thats why the statement is there to enforce the child's needs, not for them to willy nilly around them. Buy your on home/school dairy and hand it to them. Ask for everything that will help him have less stress in his school life. My son could not get through without his dairy and visual planner. Maybe it just me but we can fill 2 school jotters a year. If it not written in the book its not happening. And if it not happening it their fault for not have written it in the dairy. He has enough stress getting through the work l

Hope things get sorted soon.

Hi Jlp,

this is exactly what we're going through at the moment. I've decided not to worry what the galahs at the school think of me and I'm going to be in their face and complain. In fact, I've had a big argument with the Principal last week and apart from the stress and anger, it feels good to be trying to do something to help my son. I know that the system is different in Oz, but I've now got an advocate to help me. If I were you I'd be even more pedantic - make them take notice (if possible). It's in the best interests of your child and you're his advocate.

(My son's class teacher has done exactly the same thing as your son's - not using visual supports, except when under observation from a visiting professional like the OT or speech therapist. Brilliant hey!).

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Eva