llisa32

J 'is NOT going to school'

Here you go - I have some choccy left from last night - you can have some :eat:>:D<<'>

Well it's obviously an annoy Mumble morning - not you - J's school and Ms Britten and Mr 'I used to be Joseph' Scofield.

OK - the only slightly positive thing I'm going to say - I think the school just don't understand ASDs/AS rather than trying to be deliberately dismissive or awkward - I think they just don't get it and so are dealing with things based on their knowledge which is limited.

So apparently they're going to 'cure' any sensory issues he has through making him do more and more of them - there was something in a post Ian responded to about auditory processing and the cruelty of this - I totally and utterly agree. If you have a broken arm you don't get used to using it, if you are paralysed you don't get used to walking by constantly failing - just because AS is not a physical disability does not mean that it is any more debilitating when misunderstood.

I suggest that you wrirte a letter to the school (do all the thank you for the meeting ###### that has to come first to seem polite) and then make sure you detail exactly what you expect. If copying is too hard then they either need to employ a 1-2-1 to help or find an alternative - why can't they photocopy the work for him to do? Or of course they could actually listen to you and try to get to the bottom of what is underlying his difficulties. I do think you need to see that Ed Psych and soonish - if the school aren't going to be supportive then you'll have to do it without them - not the best situation but maybe the way it has to be to have something done.

And I would try and ignore J's dad for now - as I've said before it's probably been hard on him in questionning himself and the understanding different behaviours in different environments is difficult - it's why schools don't see what parents see because of wanting to conform.

Thanks all >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

My GP rang me this morning to give me the name of an ED Psych he'd had recommended to him by friends of his with a son 'similar' to mine >:D<<'> - nice doc!

Unfortunately he didn't have contact details and I could not trace her for love nor money...rang back and told the receptionist and said please could he try and find contact details...I did find one doc with the same name but based in surrey and not my part of the world like he suggested.

He just called me back again and seems he has found her in my part of the world so there must be 2 of em with the same name! or similar :) I now have her address, phone number, and he spoke to the place she's practising and they said to send her a letter outlining the details.

So..off to practise my letter writing ready for first post tomorrow! My GP is lovely and I ws really surprised that he's taken the trouble to ask his friends for a recomendation.