Sign in to follow this  
mrs fussy

moving schools and SEN

Hi everyone does anyone know the procedure when a child moves school. My son has been at his new school 3 weeks now so assume all his records and IEPS and stuff from old school have now been transfered. I spoke to his class teacher breifly and she said they were just looking at his IEPS(dont know why because they were useless) my son was at school action plus and they were gathering evidence for a statement.(we moved him as he was an emotional wreck and school were well :wallbash: )At what stage should he be now on the new schools register will he have to go back down to SA or will he be still at SA+(the lea ed psych is the same one at his new school as old one)will the process have to start all over again or wil new school be able to use evidence from old school or will i be able to provide this as part of my evidence) schools round here get very little funding for SEN so do very little to help unless they are statement criteria. I have arranged to meet with the class teacher and SENCO but again like at old school they seem to want to put it off for as long as possible, its kinda like they like things to go wrong and are unwiling to put very little preventative measures in place as if a child is coping this really doesnt provide good evidence. I am not against a statement of course but do not wish to cause my son a breakdown in the process!!! which is what they dont seem to mind doing(i am a bit cynical after the treatment he had at his old school)The new school have made no attempt so far to contact or speak to me about my sons SEN although they are fully aware of past problems(including a 16 day exclusion)I know if he doesnt get certain very simple things put into place we are soon going to be having problems again as i can see he is already getting anxious. How is the best way to deal with this meeting i want to be assertive but i dont want to get there backs up, and i do want the neccessary things in place so that he can cope.Should i just be totaly open and say well i think he need statementing or just see how he goes on, although i do know that he just wont cope when he gets to secondary school and want the support in place for then(hes only 8 at moment) as i know i have a fight on my hands. Can anyone offer advice ---hope you understand what im trying to say as i do waffle on M rs F x

:whistle:

Has your son been given a diagnoses?

If yes, tell them to more things on and get the statement in place.

Then he will get the support he needs.

Thanks wishing well for your reply no we have no diagnosis and son appears to be doing well at the moment, but you know just want to make sure hes not left like last time. Mrs F x

Speak to your GP and ask for a referral to see a child paediatrician tell the doctor the problems he was having in the other school and don't let the doctor put you off. It can take months to get an appointment, but its better to have a foot in the door in case you need it. (To have his name down in case things go wrong again, then you will be well on your way to getting professional help.) You do not need your son with you when you go to see the GP also good idea to write things down and bring them with you. When I went with my list of problems the doctor told me that the child was having a personality clash in the school. (Pre-school) We moved to another pre-school things seemed to be fine until he started big school then the problems reappeared. The doctor had absolutely no idea about aspergers, but he is the one that can transfer your son on to the right professionals. You have nothing to lose!

Speak to your GP and ask for a referral to see a child paediatrician tell the doctor the problems he was having in the other school and don't let the doctor put you off. It can take months to get an appointment, but its better to have a foot in the door in case you need it. (To have his name down in case things go wrong again, then you will be well on your way to getting professional help.) You do not need your son with you when you go to see the GP also good idea to write things down and bring them with you. When I went with my list of problems the doctor told me that the child was having a personality clash in the school. (Pre-school) We moved to another pre-school things seemed to be fine until he started big school then the problems reappeared. The doctor had absolutely no idea about aspergers, but he is the one that can transfer your son on to the right professionals. You have nothing to lose!

Hi wishingwell, we already have been refered and have seen child pead twice they are supposed to have referered us to CAMHS so just waiting at the moment Mrs F x

ps by the way our GP is very good and no problems with referal and when my son was suffering with physical signs with regards to his anxiety about school he did write a letter to head saying that he agreed it was best that he was kept off school, so he is very supportive but did tell me that he tried to avoid getting involved with educational problems but if my son was having worries connected he would support me in keeping him off until this was sorted. You see my son got so bad with abdominal pain he was actually admitted to hospital and they could find nothing wrong he also had an ultrasound scan and after all this it was thought that it was all stress related. Mrs F x