Sign in to follow this  
shamu

DLA questions

I have finally got my back side in gear and am tackling DS's DLA form :wallbash: and have a couple of queries (well, for now - I'm sure in a week I'll have even more!)

I am writing everything in the PDF version but the boxes aren't big enough so I am writing a word document with all the additional info for each "section". At the moment I'm only on part 9 and have 5 pages of additional stuff!!! Is this overkill? Esp as I'm repeating myself all the time.... Will they just think I'm wasting their time?

How on earth do I work out exactly what a "normal" 4 year old can and can't do? I mean, I know most are toilet trained etc, but how much can they really manage on their own? And is it worth putting down stuff that you know some NT children do but DS does far more and far more dangerously eg I have to restrain him in reins when out ANYWHERE because he has no awareness of danger, bolts off, can't ask for help etc but there are other 4 year olds who are still on wrist reins etc.

Is the impact of having my younger DD of any importance? For instance, a lot of time we spend with DS impacts on her and she isn't getting the sort of stimulation she needs at the moment. He's only in nursery for 2 and a bit hours a day so she doesn't get much time for her. Also, stuff like taking them both to soft play is impossible but if I write that on my DLA form won't they just say, well you decided to have another child so it's your own problem? We didn't know about DS when I had her though....

I knew that the form was depressing and hard (and have filled it in once but never sent it!) but it's just taking up all my time and I wonder if I should be less "precise"....

Thanks

Shamu

;-)

Shamu

Definitely carry on writing even if it means that you use lots of additional sheets. Repeating yourself is, unfortunately, pretty necessary. I sent pages and pages!

Send any additional info (like doctor's reports) as well.

Overkill is better than omission. You have to state that he needs more watching, more help, and more attention than another child his age.

As for your daughter, I'd mention it but don't labour it i.e. you can't take both children out by yourself as your son requires one to one attention from an adult.

There's lots of info and helpful sites in the pinned DLA threads.

Barefoot -

Hi Shamu,

I've recently sent off our son's DLA renewal form so I know how tedious and time-consuming filliing it in can be.

I also found that I was repeating myself quite a lot but there is overlap in some of the sections anyway. I just kept to the facts and did not try to imagine what an NT child of his age can do. Perhaps there are 4yr old NT children on wrist-straps but how do you know that they also don't have problems?

You just have to describe your son, his level of comprehension, his level of independence, his behaviour, etc. It's useful to think about how tough some days can be when completing the form....

Hope this helps and good luck, Tjololo.

i filled out my ds form and used a link from this forum. it is the cerebra website and there is a pdf that you can download which will tell you exactly what to put in each section.

i had my hv check it over and she said that more info is better than not enough. but the cerebra website is by far the best bit of help i had...

Thanks everyone >:D<<'>

Guess I'll write a PhD thesis then :hypno:

I have the cerebra document - v useful

Three more weeks before I need to hand it in :lol:

Shamu

;)

Edited by shamu