Bagpuss

Burning Moosic Onto Disc

I've been downloading music for a while now, from iTunes. I decided to try and burn some onto a disc, after a mate showed me what to do. The first disc I did turned out great, but after playing it for a few times, it stopped working, and when I put in on my CD player, nothing happened. The next few discs I tried to burn music onto only recorded the first few songs, and then the last few songs, with the songs in the middle a blank. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong or what the prob could be? Are there certain types of disc which are better than others? I've just been getting mine from the supermarket, or is the prob with my laptop?

Ta very much :)

I've been downloading music for a while now, from iTunes. I decided to try and burn some onto a disc, after a mate showed me what to do. The first disc I did turned out great, but after playing it for a few times, it stopped working, and when I put in on my CD player, nothing happened. The next few discs I tried to burn music onto only recorded the first few songs, and then the last few songs, with the songs in the middle a blank. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong or what the prob could be? Are there certain types of disc which are better than others? I've just been getting mine from the supermarket, or is the prob with my laptop?

Ta very much :)

Hi bagpuss -

can't offer much about the disc that stopped working or the missing/silent tracks, but the problem with your stand alone player might be that it doesn't play MP3 tracks (which is what anything you've downloaded is likely to be).

Another problem could be 'copyright managment' encoding built into the downloaded tracks - they may have 'restricted' burn (or play) rights' limiting the number/type of copies you can make and even how many times you can play them (though the latter is rare now)...

as far as media (blank discs) goes, CDR is so standardised now you would be really unlikely to find 'duff' media, but as a general rule of thumb burning to CDR (permanent) rather than CDRW (re-writable) discs is usually more reliable...

a quick tests - if you do a 'normal' copy of a full CD from your collection and that's ok, you'll know it's not the media or the burner... that means it must be down to the tracks themselves (copyright management/format/quality), or the 'disc structure' when you compile them, and you ccan start looking there for fixes :)

Hope that helps

L&P

BD :D

Oh - one other quick thought why some tracks might work while others don't...

It could be that you've got a mix of formats - MP3 AND WMA (windows media audio)... your PC would play either, but your MP3 Player (or I pod) might only play MP3 and a standalone CD player might not play either...

Edited by baddad

NO NO NO Baddad,

Baggy hasnt told you the full story. I know what the problem is :rolleyes:

Its because she is copying Wham, Duran Duran and Whitney Houston.

I mean what self respecting pc would copy that **** properly. :P

SV

Guest Lya of the Nox
NO NO NO Baddad,

SV

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

NO NO NO Baddad,

SV

Oi! You cheeky lil b*gger! That was supposed to be our little secret!!! :shame: Nowwwwwwwwwwww......what can I reveal about you SV? :devil:

:lol::lol::lol:

Go Wham :dance: Go Wham :dance: Go Wham :dance:

Hi bagpuss -

can't offer much about the disc that stopped working or the missing/silent tracks, but the problem with your stand alone player might be that it doesn't play MP3 tracks (which is what anything you've downloaded is likely to be).

Another problem could be 'copyright managment' encoding built into the downloaded tracks - they may have 'restricted' burn (or play) rights' limiting the number/type of copies you can make and even how many times you can play them (though the latter is rare now)...

as far as media (blank discs) goes, CDR is so standardised now you would be really unlikely to find 'duff' media, but as a general rule of thumb burning to CDR (permanent) rather than CDRW (re-writable) discs is usually more reliable...

a quick tests - if you do a 'normal' copy of a full CD from your collection and that's ok, you'll know it's not the media or the burner... that means it must be down to the tracks themselves (copyright management/format/quality), or the 'disc structure' when you compile them, and you ccan start looking there for fixes :)

Hope that helps

L&P

BD :D

Oh - one other quick thought why some tracks might work while others don't...

It could be that you've got a mix of formats - MP3 AND WMA (windows media audio)... your PC would play either, but your MP3 Player (or I pod) might only play MP3 and a standalone CD player might not play either...

Cheers BD :D I've never downloaded an entire CD tho...just the odd tracks which I like, so what I have tried to burn onto disc has been a real mixture. Found the same prob is happening in the car cd player too, only playing certain tracks, other tracks blank.......but for some strange reason, I did one for DH, and his all plays fine :unsure: I'll have to have a look at what sort of CD's we've been buying, don't know if they are rewritable or not :unsure:

Thanks again

Well, seems I've sorted it...tho not sure how :unsure: Saw some discs specifically for music at supermarket, so tried them. It worked :thumbs::dance: Dunno how :unsure: but....I have a lovely disc now, full of me favs............and SV, you'd be proud of me......i snuck a little Snow Patrol and Paolo Nutini in amongst the Westlife and Shania :lol:

I'm going to burn a musical one tonight..........oooh, I love a good musical :dance: Wonder if they have any Lee in Loincloth one's yet on iTunes :wub: