Sign in to follow this  
joybed

help needed with helping Ds cope with organistion at school

Hi everyone my son has just started comprehensive school, we were very anxious about this and not sure mainstream comp was appropriate but after much soul searching we decided to give it a go. To begin with it was Ok he enjoyed school, coped well with the routine, the transport was not a problem for him at all and he joined a couple of out of school clubs. However his biggest problem is organising himself to have the necessary equipment for each lesson. He manages this by me packing his bag every night and making sure he has everything he needs as he leaves for school. The other problem is he keeps losing things so far in the past 5 weeks he has lost a rugby shirt (never worn cost �20), a pair of shorts, 2 rulers, a packed lunch box, his wallet (this turned up in his bag but in a different pocket), a coat, a library book, and his sponsored walk form. He remembered to inform me tonight that he will be home after sponsored walk tomorrow at 12, I am on nights so will probably get little sleep as he will keep coming into my room. He also regularly forgets to bring home his coat despite me repeatedly reminding him and then complains that he is cold in amorning but still forgets again that night.

Homework isn,t a problem as most of the time as long as it does on the computer and i nag him to get on with it. Had an incident last week where he left it till 20.30 and then realised he had 4 lots to do. Tonight computer wasn,t working so we had lots of tears and tantrums and it took me 2 hours to get him to do homework, just what i need before a night shift, but I refuse to let him of as he is a bright boy and more than capable of doing his homework.

We have put him back on packed lunches as he wasn,t eating and he is happy with this.

So my question is to those of you with ASD kids in mainstream comp. How do you teach them organisation skills, how do i make sure he brings everything home, i am going to need a loan soon to replace all the lost things. Are there any visual supports I can use and if so wher do i get them. Sorry for long post.

Hi joy,

(I nearly replied to this earlier in the week, but it didn't sound right, so I'll have another go)

I think that you need to talk to your son's teacher/senco and outline the difficulties your son is having.

It's not his fault.

Although it is extremely frustrating for you. Perhaps a tick list would help. Checking my son and daughter's bag's is the first thing I do after the school run.

I don't think nagging him makes any difference, but nagging the school might, maybe someone to spend a few minutes at the end of the day checking that he has remembered everything would help.

s

xxx