sesley

age development

My son has ASD his body is 8 this year, when his body was 4 we got the statement that he was ASD, now by then his speech was just starting to pick up a bit,but still had little understanding of language and what it all ment, that is why the pictures were more effctive, now his development is about 4/5 socially and speech and language is concerned,Why i am talking about this is because there is seems to be a lack of real understanding as regards from teachers, who then nag or dissapprove at parents,because little one can,t cope with the instructions and social habits that their peers have already learn't to understand,and i have to remind myself and the speech thearapist this week,that P's stresses result from being expected to behave like a 8 year old body should although his understanding of language and social ettiquette is still4/5 and thats why he watches and is entertained by pre school tv like CeebeeBees and Nick junior and thats why he meltdowns in school and yes at home,so basically you take about a third off the body,s age to establish the social age of a child on the ASD spectrum.

Hi There.

Good point i too find that the ridiculous attitude of teachers can be frustrating. K is also 8 and has the social skills of a 5 year old, so i see where you are comming from.

We have similar problems to you. you have my sympathy.

shaz

Edited by pingu

Hi, my son is almost 13, and has the social skills of a 9 year old.

I'm a teacher.

I agree, lack of understanding and tolerance is a pain in the b*m!

I got snapped at last week because my son is not handing in his various things in his bag - it's Y3 and he should be learning to be more independant (I queried whether the teacher had read a note).

I cried with frustration in the car on the way home. :(

Same here. JP is 18, but around 12 emotionally.

I'm dreading the teenage years! :lol:

God help me when B starts to look at girls the way that he looks at chocolate cake now...all eyes and hopeful twitching. Let me know how you deal with it, and I'll take detailed notes.

It was hard enough with the Flirty Girl on his Kayaking course in the summer, he just didn't understand what on earth she was doing and got irritated instead. :lol:

I got snapped at last week because my son is not handing in his various things in his bag - it's Y3 and he should be learning to be more independant (I queried whether the teacher had read a note).

I cried with frustration in the car on the way home. :(

Don't cry, go in and staple the next message to her forehead.

I'll lend you a stapler if you need one.

Could be that teacher was feeling guilty at not having checked, or remembered, and so displaced the responsibility onto your son. Snapping at you is unprofessional, but it's what some people do when they feel uncomfortable.