bluefish

Tesco not the Zoo

Its half term and my plan was to take E to the zoo. as we loaded ourselves into the car with our packed lunch he became more and more distressed. Please mummy Tesco he begged not Zoo! I felt really cross and very sad that my 4 year old wanted to go to a super market not to the fab zoo that was going to cost me a fortune! We went to Tesco. Had a spot of lunch, shopped for things we did not need what a great day E had. I am so proud that I got over my hang up of wanting him to do "normal stuff" the thing is before his dx I never questioned his love of Tesco, its only since I was told ,that I had this urge to forse him to go to the places other children his age would love to go to and for that I am ashamed.however cupboards are stocked with Tesco Finest( his preferred brand) and a happy little boy sleeps(for an hour or so anyway)

Its half term and my plan was to take E to the zoo. as we loaded ourselves into the car with our packed lunch he became more and more distressed. Please mummy Tesco he begged not Zoo! I felt really cross and very sad that my 4 year old wanted to go to a super market not to the fab zoo that was going to cost me a fortune! We went to Tesco. Had a spot of lunch, shopped for things we did not need what a great day E had. I am so proud that I got over my hang up of wanting him to do "normal stuff" the thing is before his dx I never questioned his love of Tesco, its only since I was told ,that I had this urge to forse him to go to the places other children his age would love to go to and for that I am ashamed.however cupboards are stocked with Tesco Finest( his preferred brand) and a happy little boy sleeps(for an hour or so anyway)

I can so relate to that. I started to have a much better time with my ds when I began to accept the things he wanted to do and joined in with him. So glad you had a good day.

It is one of those unique things that you learn/grow to treasure.

bill was so obsessed about a certain supermarket when he was little that's all he wanted to do. He made us go there whenever it was his turn to chose where we went, and for a long time it was his amibition to work there when he grows up. He still quite likes going but once we've got past the bit where the magazines are he wants to go home :rolleyes:

I'm glad you and your son enjoyed your 'day out'... and here's to many more :thumbs:

flora

That's not a day out at the Zoo... that's a Sparks and Mensers day out at the zoo.

A good day out is one you enjoy - the venue is irrelevent :)

L&P

BD :D

I believe a good day out even if its a walk in a suprmarket or a forest is a valuable bonding time and if you get a laugh out of it too, so much the better. :ninja:

You do know that their are Tesco's all over the world now, may be you could plan holidays around this one!!

Anna

I can see how some supermarket staff (self excepted, naturally) could be confused for zoo animals :lol:

Edited by Tally

Tescos is a fasinating place, it has trollys, exits, televisions, a photo booth and food and treats,that a certain 7 year old ASD person likes :lol: its been a fabulous afternoon out :):)

:thumbs::thumbs: Now if I had a boy like yours I would not have to depend on internet delivery.

Any mention of supermarket in our house is greeted with a combined ''noooooooo.....'' and that includes OH. :lol::lol: Karen.

Outings of ours in the past:

IKEA - to examine the room sets

MFI - to test all the white goods (at one point, he looked up at me & said, I'm in heaven)

Best of all, we spent one half term visiting estate agents during his House for Sale obsession. We had a home made For Sale sign up in his bedroom window & got a few enquiries! :lol:

They are funny,the amazing thing about my son is that he's not materialistc,you can take him to the toy department and he will look and touch,but not enough to really want them, the only thing he really wanted on holiday,was a London Routemaster Bus and a Etch a Sketch,we found the bus, but we didn't go back for the Etch a sketch because it was the last one and broken,but in the October holidays, we asked him what he would like for a treat and he said Etch a Sketch,so we went to Early Learning in Inverness,but all they had was the magic boards and they weren't right,so the assistant directed us to argos,where they had one and he carried it out of the shop in its bag and looked after it till we got home,where he keeps it pride of place next to his bed, and twiddles with it when he wants to. :thumbs:

Outings of ours in the past:

IKEA - to examine the room sets

MFI - to test all the white goods (at one point, he looked up at me & said, I'm in heaven)

Best of all, we spent one half term visiting estate agents during his House for Sale obsession. We had a home made For Sale sign up in his bedroom window & got a few enquiries! :lol:

That made me laugh! we also spend lots of time at garden centres! looking at hose pipes... I had to explain to the man I was not a stalker as we went every day at one point! :lol: