Sallya

Memory recall

The other day, I was playing a game with the kids, where you have to remember where you have seen a picture, and then find the other to make a pair; my little girl, with ADHD, and social communication difficulties, found this really hard and was just randomly turning them over without remembering, she was going very quickly, and I think just didn't get the concept of keeping something in her head so she could go back; my son on the other hand , who has ASD , dyspraxia and dyslexia had a very good memory, and worked slowly, but in a much more methodical way, and actually really stunned me with the way he could remember pictures that he had turned over right at the start of the game, and hadn't found a match for until the end.

If that doesn't make a lot of sense, this is the sort of game we were playing

http://www.novelgames.com/flashgames/game.php?id=18

daughter found shapes the hardest, though she did get better with a bit of practise. sorry for that waffle, just find the differences between them really interesting sometimes.

s

xxx

Guest Lya of the Nox

hey hun >:D<<'>

did u use the whole pack??

when i used to play it with little( giant) un i would use only a few to start with

then she got the concept, maybe try that with her

hope u all ploddin oks

x

Ah yes - one of my favourite games as a kid because I always won :lol: I would do it very methodically, turning the first two over and making a story connection in my head, then the next two and extending the story so I could easily, by going though the story and counting the cards know where the ones I needed were.

I do something similiar with the (I think it's called) digit span test, where you have to remember and recall an ever increasing length of digits. Because I've always been facinated by number relations I use these to make sense of the numbers in blocks of 3 or 4 which are then easy to recall - I have no problem generally remembering 13 digits in a row. However, and I find this very interesting, I'm terrible at memorising pi, I think because there is no pattern at all to the numbers so I'm never going to make it into the record books for that one!!! :lol:

Sally, SM is brilliant at that game too. If I play a computer game that has that kind of thing in it he always stands over my shoulder telling me where everything is.

Maybe we should get the boys together for a game. Not sure how they would do though. SM has to win or we get meltdown city going on.

SM still say's your boy is his best friend. :thumbs:

I'll have to try that game with my eldest - he has a great memory - and can always notice if something is different when we go to someone's house.

my 3 year old wouldn't be able to play - i still can't get him to do a 4 piece puzzle - even after i have done it and taken it apart in font of him!!

This is something we are good at in this house too, even at a young age my dd was equally as good as me at, also the same for connect 4 although i think she just learned the technique and not the understanding.very good with observation and detail and can always tell when something is wrong!Still working on rhyme and repetition though.

It is interesting to observe isn't it?

Nic

Lya >:D<<'> we did use just a few cards; took a few explanations for her to get the idea.... was a game stuck in the back of the cupboard we used to play lots when they were littler....Viper....we could get them together if you like.... I took my two to the science museum last week, they loved it..lots to touch and do...was really worried about coping in London, but it was fine....your little fella would love it...we didn't get to see all of it, there was so much interesting stuff.....Mumble.. I was really struck with how good he was at this game....he doesn't usually find games easy, or even enjoy them...i didn't have to explain to him, he seemed to have his own way of remembering....funny but daughter could do this game much easier on the computer, than she could with cards or shapes..she is very haphazard!