Sign in to follow this  
wilson

Learning Difficulties

Hello,

For some considerable time I have been convinced that my son has Moderate Learning Difficulties as well as Asperger Syndrome. Now, the term has been used officially. My problem is that my (perhaps misinformed) stereotype of people with Asperger Syndrome being of average or above average 'intelligence' (I hate using that word!) has being challenged. Is there a stronger correlation between Aspeger Syndrome and other, more global, learning difficulties than I assumed, or is H an exception to the rule?

Thanks

I think it depends on just how global these difficulties are. I would say C has some learning difficulties despite his label of "gifted". He can only remember one instruction at a time, has no organisational skills to speak of, has some mild memory deficits and has issues with handwriting, spelling and reading.

On a more general level, some of the children I work with/have worked with have such varying degrees of ASD and I have seen a range of "learning difficulties" (I do not like this term - it is too unspecific) co-exist. Sometimes, aspects of ASD can make learning difficult, sometimes the child can be taught strategies to overcome these difficulties, sometimes they develop the strategies themselves - alternatively it's often a case of altering and adapting the teaching strategies.

It's a grey area I suppose, and each child has to be considered on their individual strengths and areas of difficulty.

I suppose the statement that children with AS have average to above average intelligence is a bit of a generalisation - just as the term "intelligence" is a generalisation.

Well, you've caught me at the perfect time to write a reply here. I have just had to lecture my supervisor for saying I am learning disabled :angry:

However, before ranting at him, I did check a few of my facts . . . and got confused.

But this is how I understand it. For the sake of clarity I will use the term intelligence to mean a score on a psychometric test with a population mean of 100 and a standard devition of 15, but I have huge problems with the term too.

The dx criteria for AS include an avarage or above average IQ. This in itself is tricky, because it could be taken to mean greater than or equal to 100 or it could include the average range (non-average is two standard deviations above/below) so an IQ of 70+.

An IQ of below 70, and the associated learning disabilities, is usually seen in Kanner/severe autism.

What you do have in AS is a stronger tendency towards comobids (ADHD, dyslexia, dyspraxia, etc.). These, in themselves, are not related to IQ, but they can have an impact on the measured (as opposed to actual) IQ of an individual and on their learning behaviours. These (I don't know about ADHD - someone with more knowledge can help me here) are specific learning difficulties (SpLDs). AS in itself has been described as 'pure autism'. It is autism without learning difficulties. In itself autism and AS (though I take AS as autism) are not learning difficulties/learning disabilities - but they can still be a disability. Confused yet? I was!

So various possibilities - could be AS and more severe SpLD comorbids, possibly (and parents on here will know more about this) could be that the AS 'label' was given to ease funding (this is very, very wrong, but I know it occurs), could be all sorts of other things besides.

Sorry if that's not much help. I just felt I had to write something given what was said about me today.

It confuses me too Wilson! Our paed has unofficially dx's dd with ASD likely to be Aspergers (has said this since dd was 2 and she's just turned 5.) We are waiting for a formal dx, I can't see how they will give a dx of AS as the list of "problems" on reports from the paed include "severe developmental delay"!!!! :blink:

She has cerebral palsy and epilepsy because (as MRI showed) she has large areas of white matter missing in her brain.

So, are they dxing AS as seperate from the problem that are caused by the brain injury? ie, she meets the other criteria for AS but has learning problems caused by other dx? I just don't know! I'm half expecting the formal dx to come back as HFA because I can't see how she meets the AS critera.

It's very tricky! Mind you, so long as she is getting the help she needs it's kind of a moot point.

A x

I was told (can't remember by whom) that Learning Difficulties are defined by problems with academic learning, and difficulties with acquiring social skills aren't relevant (as far as Education are concerned). I think it might even be in the COP somewhere. Personally I think that J has a learning difficulty despite performing to a high standard in all academic areas, because he can't learn socially to the same standard as his peers, but apparently not.

I should add that I've encountered some extremely duff professionals over the years so whoever told me this could have been talking out of a certain orifice.

Karen

x

It confuses me too Wilson! Our paed has unofficially dx's dd with ASD likely to be Aspergers (has said this since dd was 2 and she's just turned 5.) We are waiting for a formal dx, I can't see how they will give a dx of AS as the list of "problems" on reports from the paed include "severe developmental delay"!!!! :blink:

She has cerebral palsy and epilepsy because (as MRI showed) she has large areas of white matter missing in her brain.

So, are they dxing AS as seperate from the problem that are caused by the brain injury? ie, she meets the other criteria for AS but has learning problems caused by other dx? I just don't know! I'm half expecting the formal dx to come back as HFA because I can't see how she meets the AS critera.

It's very tricky! Mind you, so long as she is getting the help she needs it's kind of a moot point.

A x

Ok, just had this answered during a phone call with her paed. She feels that dd is now going to be dx'ed with classic autism as she has too many problems for AS dx! :(

A x

Ok, just had this answered during a phone call with her paed. She feels that dd is now going to be dx'ed with classic autism as she has too many problems for AS dx! :(

A x

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Sorry .Karen.

I think most of the learning difficulties associated with AS are actually problems concerning teaching/learning styles. A few months ago I mentioned something about how many people with AS learn better using self education as opposed to classroom based teaching, whereas the reverse is true for NT people. Teachers and EPs must therefore be aware that the style of teaching and assessment used in the school is the real problem before labelling kids with AS as having learning difficulties.