Sign in to follow this  
Wivstar

Have I got ASD?

How can I be sure I have it, Let me explain some of the Conditions I do get.

Fascinations with things E.G How things work, What it does etc.

Fascinations with Religions, Nationalities etc.

Mimic caracters/Other people.

Talk to people about one thing for ages, When they leave carry the conversation on with someone else.

Try and explain stuff to myself I.E Chat to myself and convince myself It will work like this [sometimes I write a plan down on the most simplest things I.E What i am going to do about money spending it etc.

When someone will speak to me in front of large crowds I get nervous and make Pronunciation mistakes, Sometimes Mistakes on counting money, etc.

I like to imagine my own world, I.E What I'd do, And how I would make it. I like to invent new stuff.

Hi Wivstar it's obviously very difficult to say yes or no without more evidence.Your best bet is to get a few books on AS and read them possibly making a full list of everything which has been your characteristics right from childhood.

If you are concerned that you have AS and think you would benefit from an official diagnosis then speak to your GP.

Hi Wivstar,

I wouldn't like to say one way or the other wether you might have ASD or not as i'm no professional. If you do have concerns why not make an appointment with a proffesional, write down how you feel in certain situations & all your feelings etc.

Best of luck - sorry i couldn't be of more help :)

Hi Wivstar,

Those are all things that people with AS/ASD often do, so it is possible that you do have autism. From what you have described though, it could be other things.

I've got to rush off right now, but I will come back and say more tomorrow evening . . . I have lots more to say :)

Hello again Wivstar,

You have described the Special Interest that is common in autism. You also like to be prepared for situations, struggle with social situations, and become anxious with large groups. These are all things common in autism, but they can also be caused by other conditions such as anxiety, low self-esteem and/or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. If these are your only symptoms, then autism is unlikely.

To meet the diagnostic criteria for autism, you need to experience difficulties in three main areas, known as the Triad of Impairments:

Social Interaction

Do you find it hard to make friends?

So you have little interest in making friends?

Do you struggle to make eye contact, or make too much eye contact?

Do you use non-verbal body language like facial expression to communicate your feelings or thoughts?

Social Communication

Did you have any speech delay as a child?

Do you find it hard to understand speech, for example, find it hard to follow verbal instructions?

Do you find it hard to understand non-verbal communication such as facial expression, body language or tone of voice, for example, find it hard to tell if a person is joking or being sarcastic?

Do you interpret things very literally, and find 'figures of speech' hard to understand?

Social Imagination

Do you find it hard to imagine how another person may be feeling?

Do you find that you expect people to know things that you haven't told them?

Other things common in autism include a desire for routine, enjoying arranging objects into patterns like straight lines, and sensory processing issues.

You don't have to have every symptom, but you do need difficulties in the 3 areas.

Have you read any books about autism, or autobiographies by people with autism? These might help you work out if you might have autism.

My son has been diagnosed with PDA which is a pervasive development disorder like Autism and aspergers and although he appearas to be on the surface quite sociable he is not really able to interact properly with others and is more likely to tell others about himself or what he can do, rather than ask them about themselves or their thoughts and opinions. I think the best thing if you are concerned that is it impacting your like would be to go to your G.P. and ask him for a referral to someone who understands these conditions

Good luck

D

X

A scary amount on what you mention is true. Accept I don't find it hard making friends. Not really. But hard to make Eye contact is one, And most definitely I feel that people SHOULD know what I am feeling even though I've not told them.

Scary number are right, And some are no 50%50.