Sign in to follow this  
rach04

should i take him to the doctors

j gets panicky when in a crowd of people/kids has done since he was a babba. I went to see senco tonight something to do with them taking him library and me having to pay the fine lol but.........

when i said about taking it back and the only time i had time to do this with him was on a Saturday and town is packed and he panics he said he will just have to get over it :tearful: cause hes going seniors soon (hes not cause im fighting to get him in sn school).

Now j will tell you and senco lol that its because hes scared of getting lost or snatched but i think its claustrophobia as he is really clingy in lift etc.

Hes ok in the school playground because he knows the kids although senco didnt believe that he could be ok at school and not in the street. (dont know how many times hes took him to the supermarket :whistle: )

heres how i would describe it-

supermarket in a queue of say 3 trolleys and people- shifting from foot to foot face looks like hes in pain.

crowded street - clings for dear life and looks terrified forever looking around him doesnt look like hes with us at all

now they want to put him in a a school with a 1000+ pupils.

ok it affects family life in a way means we cant go to the park on a summers day unless theres only us there, or we go seaside in October but otherwise we've worked around it and the only ones that don't see it are the school.

is this a trait of asd or should i take him doctors. this isnt the only reason btw why im fighting for him to go sn school its just that hes made me thing that something weve always coped with might be a condition

Edited by rach04

Its a bit harsh and discrimination to suggest he should just get on with it, just because he goes to senoirs, who knows how it will progress for him when he gets to seniors, he sounds very insensitive to the difficulties your son has and I would be inclind to write a letter to express your disatisfaction on his comments.

His reactions can be all part of the ASD with Clausterphobia on top of it, with added Anxiety because poeple are not understanding his panics because to them he should be growing out of it, it may be good idea to express to the doctor that his symptoms are making his life very painful and may be get a referal for some cognitive behaviour therapy, the symptoms you describe with the 3 trollys sounds to be like a coping mechinism, and similair to OCD to ballance there anxieties.

I would look at some emotional release stratagies for your son when out in busy places, J suffers badly because for J it is sensory and because its busy more contact from people who may bump into him and sensitivity to sounds, smells, and sight so it is very uncomfortable for him but we do still go into town for basic things and as part of supporting J to cope in situations that are very difficult, we do plan very carefully now and we do have to do a lot of work.

A fantastic book to have a read on is the out of sync child, and the follow on book out of syncs child has fun, lots of useful ideas in there.

JsMum

see its not a problem for us and we don't make it one. J is the way he is and thats it (in my eyes) i wouldn't want to change him. Ok yes it would be a problem if he was going mainstream seniors but not on my nelly is he. He has severe educational issues, social issues (other than crowds) ie he has no idea about expressions or emotions and these to me are much needed skills for a senior school.

The school that he wants to go to has 60 kids with moderate/severe learning difficulties and he is already a member of a youth group with some of the kids and he is like a different child. it is really hard to explain ummmm like..... he hasn't got to pretend that hes perfect. If one makes a mistake in team games they all laugh together or if one cant ride a bike they all get together and help. Hes soooo relaxed no meltdowns no fights its lovely for him and us.oh and no flaming bulling.

I feel that senco is trying to " fix " everything before July and we have been trying for 11 years why cant they just accept that my boy is always going to be like that and stop trying to prove me wrong!! btw they have never proved me wrong and hes always trying his best to find a fault with j, my parenting skills (even though i have 2 other kids that are well above their peers and all 3 are well mannered etc) and my family :wallbash:

i want him to learn these yes with help but also in time he has got SATS, transition, outreach coming in every week to teach him social skills and not taking in the fact that he has dyspraxia and a lack or organizational skills with endless lists and books that are confuzzling him more , and a full on getting him to use a keyboard for seniors (which they have tried several differnt ways in 5 years) this is just to much i feel and who gets the fall out? yep that right not the ones that are putting the pressure on ....school its us again. to little to late springs to mind.

sorry i needed to get that out :lol: lot happier now. RSA in post tomorrow when ive copied it

Edited by rach04