Annea

Dissability discrimination at school

Hi all, as you all know we are due to go to a diss discrimination tirbunal in a few weeks time concerning a school trip issue.

I received the informationf rom the school today which included the schools response to my claim, I was so shocked as they alledge my daughter actually has no problems and it is me causing her problems!

They go on to say that they have no other parent who is in contact with the school and complains as much as me and it is me preventing the school and my daughter from having a healthy relationship!

They told me that I was the only parent EVER to request a copy of school records (This I know is a blatent lie as I am in communication with another parent who is also doing a dis claim against the same school)

They have taken very small sections out of my correspandance to the school so it looks like I have said things that I have clearly not said....

I am so shocked at there tactics and just hope that the panel see their defence for what it is......

Can anyone share their experiences with me? Has anyone else been shocked at the defence in these claims?

I am so stressed about this meeting, the thought that anyone thinks I am harming my daughter, makes me feel sick!

Anne

Annea

When I read your post my heart went out to you and I felt sick to my stomach.

I'm in the process of taking my LEA to tribunal over educational provision. However, while our tribunals are for different reasons, and I haven't yet seen the case statement from yet from my LEA, I can so identify with your feelings of anger at the twisting of the truth and lies.

Many people have said to me in the past, 'don't get mad get even'. When similar things have happened to me, once my first rush of anger is over I find I'm left with an iron determination to 'smoke them out', or put it another way, expose them for what they are. Go through the school's case statement and seperately bullet point all their fabrications one by one, and under each bullet point refer to the documentation which proves they are lying, twisting the truth, or quoting you out of context. That way, on the day of the tribunal you can verbally refute each of their claims and immediately name the documented proof (which the tribunal panel should have copies of) as you will have it all to hand in the list you make.

best of luck. When is your tribunal due to be heard?

flora xx

Thank you Flora,

The bit I am most angry about is where the governer makes referance to course he has been on which highlighted a mother who was causing her childs problems. It goes on to state that the school are becoming increasingly concerned about where my daughters anxiety has been arising. Insinuating I am the cause of problems I have worked tirelssely to help my daughter to over come for so many years makes me so very upset.

I have even considered as to whther these acusations are libellous.

Everyone of us here knows how very hard it is to get through some days and for them to say that I am causing these problems makes me feel truly sick!

I am angry, but more than that I fell so very sad and deflated....

The date is set for the first week in December, and it can't come soon enough so I can put the whole sorry thing behind us!!

I so wish I had another school option at this point, but WHY should we run? The best bit about it is that I am not the only parent going through this process with the same school. I know the school has big issues and I know I have to make a stand, but God it's hard.

I need some big Hugs!! :crying:

Annea

When I read your post my heart went out to you and I felt sick to my stomach.

I'm in the process of taking my LEA to tribunal over educational provision. However, while our tribunals are for different reasons, and I haven't yet seen the case statement from yet from my LEA, I can so identify with your feelings of anger at the twisting of the truth and lies.

Many people have said to me in the past, 'don't get mad get even'. When similar things have happened to me, once my first rush of anger is over I find I'm left with an iron determination to 'smoke them out', or put it another way, expose them for what they are. Go through the school's case statement and seperately bullet point all their fabrications one by one, and under each bullet point refer to the documentation which proves they are lying, twisting the truth, or quoting you out of context. That way, on the day of the tribunal you can verbally refute each of their claims and immediately name the documented proof (which the tribunal panel should have copies of) as you will have it all to hand in the list you make.

best of luck. When is your tribunal due to be heard?

flora xx

Anne,

I am sorry I don't have any advice for you but can offer lots of hugs >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Sadly I have come across other people to whom it has be insinuated that the parents are the root cause of their children's anxiety/problems etc., I find this extremely worrying as the implications could be huge. This could happen to anyone of us. My heart goes out to you, you are a good Mother and you must stay strong.

Clare x x x

Annea

I think IPSEA would be interested in this. Here is a link to their Campaign page on the website. If you look at number 2 on the campaign list you will see it is a similar thing to what you are experiencing. The person who is running the campaigns at IPSEA has an email adddress to the right of that page and I think it would probably be worth contacting him, there's also a campaigns phone number too. It's worth a look. They may even be able to support you at the tribunal.

flora >:D<<'>

Hi Flora thank you so much,

I am in fact being represented by IPSEA, and the documents will be sent to him very soon by my solicitor.

My hubby has just given me a pep talk and told me it looks like they are just trying dirty tactics to get me to drop the case. We both think your idea on making bullet points based on their case statemnt is sound, we will do this tomorrow before the statement goes to our solicitor. We are then going to try to put this behind us for a few weeks and think Christmas instead.

<sigh>

Thanks also to you claire, the hugs are much appreciated!

Anne

Annea

I think IPSEA would be interested in this. Here is a link to their Campaign page on the website. If you look at number 2 on the campaign list you will see it is a similar thing to what you are experiencing. The person who is running the campaigns at IPSEA has an email adddress to the right of that page and I think it would probably be worth contacting him, there's also a campaigns phone number too. It's worth a look. They may even be able to support you at the tribunal.

flora >:D<<'>

We went to tribunal under DDA a couple of years ago & I was devastated when I received the schools defence because it contained very few truths & even suggested we may have had a personal vendetta against a teacher, we hadn't & I think the teacher concerned would have been equally surprised had he read their defence! He was not even consulted about the case or asked to contribute! The tribunal were not interested in the slightest about this remark - they only were concerned about facts not opinions! i.e. had discrimination taken place. In our case it was whether 1. our child had a disability as recognised under the act. 2. If she had a disability , had the school made resonable adjustments or not , which in our case was had the school adapted our child's work so she could see / access it & 3. if they hadn't made reasonable adjustments had our child been treated less favourably.

Make sure you send as much evidence to the tribunal as you can & all relevant factual evidence such as IEP's etc & try to stay focused on the facts & the actual act of discrimination that has taken place. I was shocked that the school's head lied to the tribunal, he gave verbal evidence and had no written evidence or anyone or anything to back up what he was saying. He was unable to prove that they had done the adjustments but we could and it was our evidence & their lack of evidence that resulted in us winning the case.

Good Luck!

We have today gone through the schools defence and as Flora suggested cross referanced it and bullet pointed evry single point. There defense is full of not only lies but full of inconsistencies mis quoted comments, comments taken out of context and at one point the defense becomes totally confused and gets all the facts muddled up.

He states openly that he feels that my dd has no problems other than her parents and makes disparaging remarks about me throughout te defense. He goes on to admit that my dd is a burden on the school and agrees that children like her shouldn't be allowed to go on trips!

They couldn't even add a copy of their policies to the defence because they don't have any!

I feel a lot more relaxed now about going to tribunal and will let you all know how I got on.

Kelima, I am interested in whetehr their was any adverse reactions to you winning your case, ie how the children were treated in school following the appeal?

Thanks in advance.

Anne

That is absolutely terrible behaviour!

I have never experienced such behaviour, but all the best with the tribunal.

:pray::pray:

>:D<<'>