Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Counselling

I just got an email back from the e-counselling that the university counselling and psychological service runs. I'm going to start out on this and then maybe I might go in person. I've had counselling before, but I've never been able to trust the counseller enough to actually benefit from it before. Anyone on here had counselling before? What did you make of it? I'm quite nervous about it as I'm not used to asking for help.

I had counselling, which was really good, but it was with someone very experienced in AS.

Personally, I wouldn't go for any counselling with someone who wasn't knowledgable.

Bid :)

Counselling can be very benefical but it is very important to feel some connection, can't really explain what I mean, but my last counsellor was a man in his 70's I know that should not make any difference, but I did feel somewhat akward and held back on certain things. I studied counselling for 3 years at college took a year out before doing the degree course and never went back, but through this expereince I had lots of counselling with lots of different people and discovered, for me at least, I had to feel the person understood me. I tend to agree with Bid that someone with knowledge would be a must. All I can say if the person does not feel right then don't continue, search until you find the right person. oh yes and another thing, the counsellor should be a member of the BACP and bear in mind the different types of counselling available as there are many different styles, though most common seesm to be person centred counselling.

Good luck.

Clare x x x