Sign in to follow this  
soraya

Annual Review

My son Nick is not attending school at the moment, due to his anxiety being really bad, he is doing E learning from home but is meant to try to get to school for the afternoons which he has not done yet. We want to try to get him in to a residential independant school which will help with his anxiety and OCD but his school says it can meet his needs, even though he hasent been for a few months. We have to attend his annual statement review and the SEN dept from the LEA will be there, what should we say? L thought a review was meant to check that everyting was ok at school and his needs were being met, but if he is not attending school how can they hold a review? :unsure::unsure:

Hi.I think it is worth attending and taking the oppurtunity to be very clear about what is not working-be well armed with all of the evidence you have documented on the Forum. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you wanted to try for residential on the grounds that current placement has broken down presumeably the LEA would have to have called an emergency review anyway.

It would be a good idea to try to find out who called the review -whether it is routine Annual review or not.

Also do you have a feel of how supportive the LEA are likely to be ?

Do the LEA know what the problems are?

Are Parent Partnership helpful ? If they are then ask if somone can attend the review.You can always take a friend for moral support too.

When I did an emergency review last year the HT was surprised by the number of individuals that turned up.

It is worth making sure that any supportive professionals are invited.Karen.

Hi Karen,I dont know if it is an anual review or not, his last one was in March so l guess not. Can my social worker attend a statement review? she is very good, maybe l will ask CAMHS if they can go too as they think Nick should be at a residential school. The trouble is the head wont let Nick go as she says she can meet his needs{even though he has not attended since March as he kept jumping off the minibus!!I think they just want the money they get for him!!