Annea

Statement

Hi all, I am expecting the first draft of DD's statement tomorrow and have been told by the inclusion officer to feel free to scribble over it, add or take stuff away etc

I have some guidelines from the independent reports I hace had done as to what my daughter needs, but I have never even seen a statement before. Are there any sample statements anywhere to give me an idea where to start taking it apart?

I have been told their are several section 1-4 how do I know if they have put the correct things in the right place? I don't want to accept any draft, without feeling it is perfect.

thanks for any input

Anne

Hi Anne :) ,

Well done for getting the statement :thumbs: . As a starting point, this link here should give you an idea of what should be in the statement.

If you are not happy with any parts of the proposed statement or any of the attached reports, this link explains what to do.

Anything you are not sure about, just ask.

Hope this helps.

Annie

xx

Hi Anne

If you look in the Code of Practice, chapter 8 on Statements gives you a lot of detail about what is required. Look at paras 8:29 to 8:48 in particular.

At the back of the COP, on pages 40-43 you will find schedule 2, regulation 16. which specifies what a statement should legally contain and how it should be set out.

Each LEA has a slightly different way of setting out their statements, and as long as they conform to the legal requirements, it doesn't really matter. The most important thing is to make sure that all your child's difficulties are accurately described in part 2 (special educatinal needs) and everything you want to meet each of those needs, is clearly quantified and specified in part 3 (educational provision).

hope this helps

K x

Well I have just received my first draft!!!

And surprise, surprise it's more or less just a list of everything the school has tried to do for the past 3 yrs apart from 2 hrs LSA support a day <not 1-1> ..

I am peed off so to speak...... it looks like they have not really bothered with the SALT and OT reports instead just saing these difficulties that have been noted will have to be monitored, by whom? the bloomin teachers who are failing her at the moment?

grrrrrrr..... DId I expect anything more? Nah.....

Ok..... is their anywhere that has copies of 'real' statements so I can see what they look like ?

I have looked at the NAS site and think I just need to rewrite the whole bloomin thing.

Sorry for ranting, it's just a big game these people play isn't it?

Anne