keepingmesane

can i ask what is prob a very daft question

i have been looking at various books to get information for myself, ds1 and dd1. but im confused as to why all the books are asperger and not any for autistic spectrum? ds1 has a dx of asd and dd1 is looking very likely to be dx soon.

are aspergers and asds considered the same for books? its just that i have read a couple of books and its not like my twins at all.

sorry for the daft question but thought id ask and enlighten myself :)

Edited by keepingmesane

AS is on the autistic spectrum. I think you probably find more books on AS because a lot are written by AS individuals themsleves, and AS individuals are more likely to (and please, I don't mean offence to anyone here) be able to write a book than those with, for instance, Kanner Autism. I think there are some books written by parents as ASD children that you might find interesting though?

There is a book by Lorna Wing called The Autistic Spectrum.

There is a book by Chantale Sicile-Kira, although I can't remember the title.

There is a book called Growing Up Severely Autistic, written by the mother of a child with severe autism, although I can't remember her name!

Nuala Gardner has written a book about her autistic son Dale, only I can't remember the title (something about Henry).

Donna Williams has written some books about her childhood and adult life with autism, Nobody Nowhere, Somebody Somewhere, and another one, the title of which I cannot remember :wallbash:

George and Sam by Charlotte Moore - another (auto)biographical account of her life with 2 autistic sons.

Stephen Venables has written a biography of his son Ollie, but I can't remember the title of the book. Ollie was severely autistic, but developed Leukaemia, and died around 12 years old.