Sign in to follow this  
illy

Excluded Again!!!

Hi all, life seems to have really had me running round in circles quite a lot recently.

Not sure if you will remember but I have 2 sons, and 1 has recently been finally! diagnosed DAMP and Atypical autism. Which includes ADHD & Dysprxia. My son has been excluded again!, He was exluded last week, at the beginning for two days, and went back on Wednesday.

Today he went back, and has been exluded til next tuesday! (5 days).

Apparently he kicked off at lunchtime, shouting abuse to passers by, who cmoplained to the headteacher.

Now I know he swears, but I dont know how much of this is down to his condition, or just him being naughty.

As you know it has took us a while to get a definate diagnosis,

I dont know too much about what is involved with his condition, but I can tell you I am at the end of my tether.

Hugs illy

Well he certainly has a lot to contend with bless him.

Has he got a statement if not why not? If he has a statement does it cover lunch time it sounds as if it needs to? If he is being excluded regularly then clearly the school are not meeting his needs and I would be asking for a school that can meet his needs.

I would also be asking for one of the professionals to explain his condtions to you and how they will impact on each other. All too often a dx is given out and then the parent is sent home to live with they know what not. It's simply not good enough.

Cat

Hi and thanks for the kind words.

We have had a trial and error regards medication, He started on Straterra, but as he had to swallow a capsule, and couldnt we asked if there was another way to take it. Doc said open capsule and put it in a drink. He could taste it and so wouldnt drink for three days!

Then we tried Equasym, (Methephenadate) not sure if spelt right, this was in a capsule, but could be opened up and contents sprinkled into food, most days he didnt see it, but some he did. However this seemed to make him 10 times worse, with behaviour, and lack of inibitions, (think that is the right word). We have today started him on Risperdal, liquid form and he has to take 2 1/4 of an oucne a day. He sayd it tastes awful, but as he has Atypical autism too, his senses are very hightened.

Not sure if this will help, but i hope so. He is also on a 20 Hour statment at school, but what good that is, when they keep excluding him I dont know.

He swears alot at home, and this is partly why he has been excluded, not sure if the bad language is part of his condition, but he has so much going on, there may be many things there.

Thanks for your time, and sorry to go on

Hugs Elain

Hi Illy.

If your DS has 20 hours support and is still being excluded another option worth investigating might be to see if you can find out whether the support is being used appropriately.If you are not convinced then it may well be worth asking the LEA for an emergency review of the Statement.

It is not considered ''good practice'' for a child with a Statement to be repeatedly excluded if intervention re SEN could resolve the issues the child has.

I am left wondering whether either the support is not being provided as per the Statement or whoever is providing it needs some input re understanding your DS better. :rolleyes::rolleyes: After all 20 hours is a significant amount of support.If lunch time is a difficult time then support could be provided at that time perhaps.Karen.