Sign in to follow this  
Pippin

auditory processing disorder

Hi. P had his first EdPsych review in 3 years at school last week and we just got the report (Shame they didnt tell us it was happening int he first place though!! :wallbash: ). Out of the blue they've decided he's dyslexic (funny how we've been telling them that for 4 years and they've been disagreeing with us!!), and has auditory processing problems. I've tried googling, and all my old optometry notes but cant find much other than adverts for various dodgy looking "programs" in the US. Has anyone any experience of APD and ideas on where to look for specific advice? Ta

We used a sound therapy program that was developed to help with dyslexia but there was some theory that it may help with APD in ASD too. Will PM you the name and you'll find it through google. It consisted of listening to music for 10 minutes each evening for about 6 months. We had regular appointments to modify the CDs.

My son's language skills definitely improved but I couldn't say for sure that it was down to the sound therapy because we also put him on a gluten free diet around the same time. The diet definitely made a real difference to his mood and behaviour which must make the communication side easier for him too.

Hope that helps.