rocketgob

Help please ...

Charlie has suddenly started walking on tiptoes EVERYWHERE on one foot - he has been doing it for 3 days solid now. DH took him to A&E cos we thought he had hurt himself as he doesnt cry or show pain but they checked him out and he totally didnt react at all he just carried on talking to the lights and the clock in the cubicle (he does this when he is somewhere strange). They refused to xray him as he is young and basically made us feel like idiots. He is still doing it now and wont put his foot flat at all - I don't think he is putting it on as I have tried to catch a look when he thinks noone is watching and he is still doing it. I don't know whether to take him to the GP or not? Charlie is nearly 3 btw.

Sarah x

Hi Rocketgob,

I dont think you have anything to worry about, many children on the spectrum walk on their tip-toes, i dont know the reason for it and i dont know how many people keep it up.

My dd went through a phase of tip-toe walking, my nephew did this also and for much longer than my dd.

I am not on the spectrum but had a very bouncy kind of walk as a child because my in-step was very high and i found it quite painful to walk normally, it has eased and i am now quite flat footed (all the years of going barefoot).

I cant remember the age my dd did this but it was either nursery age or early school age.

Nic

This can be a sign of lack of knowledge of where he is in space

Visual, vestibular and proprioceptive issues may be apparent - and tip toeing can often stopped immediately if addressed

Hi Rocketgob.Ben also walks on tiptoes at times.He tends to do it more when anxious or excited.It may be worth having a think about whether anything could have increased Charlie's anxiety...or perhaps it could be more noticable because of the excitement,changes in routine etc.To just walk on tiptoes on one foot is a little unusual though.Karen.

Logan walks on tiptoes all the time when he is in bare feet and tries his best to do so in shoes too. He will often only do it with one foot or the other too, not always both at the same time. I do think its a little odd that he's only doing it on one foot for three days though - but again could be one of those things. Will he let you bend his foot without wincing etc?

Lynne x

Charlie has suddenly started walking on tiptoes EVERYWHERE on one foot - he has been doing it for 3 days solid now. DH took him to A&E cos we thought he had hurt himself as he doesnt cry or show pain but they checked him out and he totally didnt react at all he just carried on talking to the lights and the clock in the cubicle (he does this when he is somewhere strange). They refused to xray him as he is young and basically made us feel like idiots. He is still doing it now and wont put his foot flat at all - I don't think he is putting it on as I have tried to catch a look when he thinks noone is watching and he is still doing it. I don't know whether to take him to the GP or not? Charlie is nearly 3 btw.

Sarah x

I think that you might want to take your little man to the GP and get it checked out, as it has come on suddenly in one foot, most of my friends with ASD kids that do the tip toe walk do it with both feet, not just one. When your lad lays down does his foot flop or does he keep it tight, might indicate some tendon problem if still quite tourt. My kids seem to have such odd pain talarences and it is sometimes very difficult to get Dr.'s that do not know them to beleive they are ill or something is wrong.

Anna

This can be a sign of lack of knowledge of where he is in space

Visual, vestibular and proprioceptive issues may be apparent - and tip toeing can often stopped immediately if addressed

:o I've just realised - I haven't done this since I got the glasses . . .

I used to tiptoe walk loads as a kid (I even did cross-country running *shudders* on tip toes - can't think why I always came last!!! :rolleyes:). As an adult I did it when really stressed/anxious but I've just realised I've been through some stressful situations recently and I haven't done it.

ds2 has walked on tiptoes ever since he learnt to walk. If he had suddenly started though and only on one foot I'd take him back to be looked at

:) Elun x

Sarah x

Hi just did some googling for you and came up with this from DR FOOT it explains different types of Toe walking and what to do if you have concerns.

http://www.drfoot.co.uk/tip_toe_child.htm

JsMum

If it was both feet, I'd put it down to being part of ASD. C does it, but we've been working on him not doing it in shoes, and he's been very successful at this.

I'm sorry A&E made you feel stupid, because I think you did the right thing to get him checked out.

Has he recently had a growth spurt? - I do know that when children grow in height or weight suddenly, the feet don't always match the pace of the rest of the growth and the areas around the heels and arch can become quite tender, sometimes one foot being more affected than the other. It's only developmental and doesn't last long, and it can be alleviated by special supportive insoles. It's a possibility I suppose. May be a good idea to take him along to your GP....

If it was both feet, I'd put it down to being part of ASD. C does it, but we've been working on him not doing it in shoes, and he's been very successful at this.

I'm sorry A&E made you feel stupid, because I think you did the right thing to get him checked out.

Has he recently had a growth spurt? - I do know that when children grow in height or weight suddenly, the feet don't always match the pace of the rest of the growth and the areas around the heels and arch can become quite tender, sometimes one foot being more affected than the other. It's only developmental and doesn't last long, and it can be alleviated by special supportive insoles. It's a possibility I suppose. May be a good idea to take him along to your GP....

[/quote

This post has just reminde me that tjis is something |Kieran always did when he was little and it had completely slipped my mind untill now.But i presume he just got out of it but he hasnt doen it for many years.But he still has a strange walk

lynn