rainbow queen

help please .........

hello all

well ive finally had enough-

i am planning to try and get a statement in the new year...............though i have no much clue about it all

the school think my son is doing ok

at home his behaviour is really going down hill-

i dont think the school take what i say serious at all.

whenever theres changes at school i get it in the neck-and its stepping up a gear now-and im seriously having trouble dealing with him at home -and when we get down to the root of it its always things at school.

i dont know what evidence i have to prove this

i have his homeschool book -which i was going to photo copy-im saying on nearly every day whats gone on -and half the time they dont reply or when they do its just to say they see no problem.

what other proof do i need?

i have a report from salt saying about him dealing with changes ect ...and anixiousand his dx

the biggest proof i have is he is making my life hell -trying to get him to school-and i think the ###### teacher thinks im putting it on...........

and now hes playing up in mornings -when i pick him up and now at night before bed.theres no end to it really.

they are ment to do a visual time table with him ect -but as this is all just points that was put across to the teacher after he got dx -its not a statement.

he can not manage when she is of sick -how the hell is he going manage in juniors or high school.

can anyone give advice to me -

im leaving it till next year-when im gered up im going do it................

ive read lots of your posts and relise its going be a struggle -i have not much other help so i hope you will all not mind supporting me in this?? :robbie:

love rq xxx >:D<<'>

>:D<<'> >:D<It is a battle to get a Statement but many of us here have been through it so you will get plenty of moral support and advice.I hope you can have a breather over christmas ready to fight on in the new year.Karen.

Before a statement is written, the local education authority (LEA)

will ask your child?s teachers, a doctor, social services and an education

psychologist to examine your child and write reports. You will be

asked for your views too. This is described in our booklet Asking for

a Statutory Assessment. In this booklet we describe what happens

when the assessment is completed and the LEA decides to make a

statement.

My child is getting a

statement

Step 1: get a copy of the SEN Code of Practice

questions about the above??

which dr do they use -your childs?

social services -ewill they be asking the ones that are already involved with you?

my son has a social worker.

if it is your own ect

then i belive my drs and my ds social worker would back me up.

not sure about education

psychologist-dont think ones ever seen my son -but could be wrong maybe when he first started school -not sure on that one

another question-?

should i write to camhs and the salt -data team who dx him...and tell them im going to apply for one -they were helpfull to me-in fact they asked me if there was anything they could help with....this was back in may derrrrr why didnt i say then about a statement.

shall i tell them and ask them for there help as well ?

JP was statemented such a long time ago that I doubt my advice would be up to date RQ - just wanted to say its the best thing we ever did & worth the stress in the long run >:D<<'>

Hi RainbowQueen

New Year - new start. I hope you have a peaceful Christmas despite all the hassles. >:D<<'>

There's loads of experience on the forum and you'll get lots of support here while you're going through this particular battle, as many of us have done.

In answer to your questions - if the school isn't supporting you and doesn't see a problem, it will be particularly useful to have evidence from from other professionals, so enlisting the support of Camhs and the Salt team is a very good idea, I think. Keep up your side of the home school diary, and look out for anything else which backs up what you are saying: samples of your son's work, IEP's, reports.

For the Statutory Assessment itself, the medical report is usually done by an LEA doctor after an appointment with you and your child.

If the child is already known to Social services, as yours is, the LEA will just ask the team already involved with your child to provide a report.

An LEA educational psychologist will do an assessment, it doesn't matter whether or not your son has already been seen by one. The school will also be asked to provide a report, and you would be asked for your views as a parent.

You can send in any other evidence you want to be considered , including reports from your own doctor and anyone else involved with your child.

But this is in the future, the first step is to request the statutory assessment and get the LEA to agree to it. If you need help with that, there are lots of links on the forum that will help you. Try the IPSEA site for a good model letter you can use to request an assessment.

Any other questions, keep asking, there's always someone around who can help.

K x

Good luck with the statementing process. I dare say they will be plenty of people able to give you advice. Sorry I am not one of them, for my little one got is statement very easily at 3 years old. I am fully aware that a lot of people do struggle getting a statement, and that the ease of getting a statement can depend on the LEA that you are under.

Good luck.

is there any links or info i could print off about how some asd children bottle everything up and unleash it at home?

and also stuff about -being clever -like in subjects but that dont mean they need help...............sorry if that sounds daft

i mean i want stuff to print that shows even if your iq is good -its all the other stuff that suffers..........ie -the changes in a school day ect-playtime/friends/aniexty.

xxx

Hi hope your o.k. >:D<<'> ...........camhs were a huge help with getting my sons statement, so I would urge you to get in touch with them about the statement.If you are currently having help with your problems at home are they helping with that??............if not get them to advise on that also.Have CASDAT , been into school, they were a huge help also, you can self refer and phone them direct about problems at school , I did this myself.I have their number if you need it , best of luck and I hope christmas goes well, hugs suzex...ps are you still going to the support group?

Hi hope your o.k. >:D<<'> ...........camhs were a huge help with getting my sons statement, so I would urge you to get in touch with them about the statement.If you are currently having help with your problems at home are they helping with that??............if not get them to advise on that also.Have CASDAT , been into school, they were a huge help also, you can self refer and phone them direct about problems at school , I did this myself.I have their number if you need it , best of luck and I hope christmas goes well, hugs suzex...ps are you still going to the support group?

hello suze- yes i still am going to the group when i can -last one i went to had paul shattock there.

first thing i will do is write to camhs about it all-they discharged my son not long after dx

he was ment to be seeing a behaviour lady but nothings happened -ive been given visual time table for at home -through data team -they did go into school to outline things to help him before he went back in sept....i really dont think this enough and its not really working.

i get help 2 hours a week through the chat team and i have told his social worker about problems im having but nothing seems to happen.

people keep mentioning casdat to me but no i have not contacted them -could you pm me the number?

hope you and your family are ok?

merry christmas to you >:D<<'>

xxx

Hi Rainbow Queen (love the name)

I hate it when the communications book is not used properly, when J had one in a previous school, (one that did not meet his needs) all it ever said was Js had a good day, it seemed to miss out all the difficulties in the classroom like inattention, fidgeting, not doing work (only because he couldnt even read it) disrupting other children, then in playtimes he was having difficulties with interaction, social understanding and not making friends, just involved in fighting where there was other children included that was not the best role models, J was also bullied that we now have been told, and nothing was done about it.

I feel that if a school can not even admit the difficulties our children have then how on earth are they suppose to help them, if they admit it then they are obvously going to have to meet that childs needs.

I would if it is at all possible think maybe of a new start in a school with a good reputation in special needs, especially ASDs, that is what I did with J because I could not trust the previous school to follow throw with the statement, and I knew within a year they would suggest he has progressed and the statement withdrawn just like his support had been when they gave him 1-1 support and extra tuition for it to be taken away.

I would defo write to the chair of govenors and express that you feel that your childs needs are not been identified and you feel disatisfied with the level of special needs observation, your child has difficulties in all the areas that school will proove very difficult so it sounds very suspisious that the school are not having the same difficulties, also he still young, J really started to struggle in year 4 when work was substantially harder.

J has a statement, of which the previous school said I wouldnt get a statement for ADHD and Social and communication difficulties, he is in a school that completly regonise Js special needs and we work as a team, that can not happen if the school are not in any way supportive.

JsMum.

Rq, we're all here for you. It's a long process but you're not alone. It's not unusual for the school to deny there are problems. I had that with my son's last school only for it all to grind to a complete halt at secondary when he threw his arms up and said no more.

Be strong, be patient, and be relentless. The best bit of advice anyone ever gave was to put everything in writing; every conversation, ever phone call, follow it up with a letter.

we're all here for you, to advise and support you.

Flora X

is there any links or info i could print off about how some asd children bottle everything up and unleash it at home?

and also stuff about -being clever -like in subjects but that dont mean they need help...............sorry if that sounds daft

i mean i want stuff to print that shows even if your iq is good -its all the other stuff that suffers..........ie -the changes in a school day ect-playtime/friends/aniexty.

xxx

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...ol+home+anxiety[/url]

This is some info re the passive child/pretends to be different at home to school.The topic was very close to the heart for Nellie..a previous mod here.I thought it might be helpful.Karen.