Sign in to follow this  
MelowMeldrew

How ? Where ?

I'm considering a holiday option in the summer for my 12yr old aspie son, I'd like to see him do this with other aspies and on his own with appropriate supervision because I feel it is time he learnt to stop being so reliant on Mum and Dad, and because we now feel the risk is OK. We do utilize some local SS options in the summer it takes the form of a day out here and there, this gives us no respite in reality because we have to be on call all the time he is out for a few hours, or even asked to go with him ! My partner needs some respite if truth be told, we had a holiday previously in a caravan in Cornwall but we were unable to have a drink of an evening or anything because he would play up, we felt very isolated as a result, HE enjoyed it, we had very little at all out of it..... The option seems to be we need a break from him for at least one week ! Does anyone know of a holiday that does this for aspies of his age, where he would get care as well for a week ? I am not going to feel guilty for asking for a week off after 12 years... If it is in South Wales all the better. I Know we would have to foot the cost... I'm not really a fan of SS support because they restrict everyonme's option so much, we had a 120 list of questions last year for 3 days out they didn't seem to want to accept ANY responsibility, and insisted we stay at home to take calls as well ! yet my son is NOT disruptive mainly albeit he needs to be constantly monitored for his own safety...

hi

im not sure of the answer-i know the nas has some links on its page about holidays but im not sure if the children go on there own ect..........

will also be interested in the replys you get........

i too would like to go on a holiday with my boys but as im on my own and cant drive far with them both in the car...........i wondered if i could get any help?

ideally id like to take them abroad as ive never even been myself.........but i just would not be able to manage it on my own ..........i need help like getting to the airport and help with what u do and help with my asd son..........

my parents are too old to help me and the rest of my family dont do nothing to help me out.

any links on my question and melowmeldrews...........thanks xxx

p.s i took my boys to a caravan park with my parents years back and well u just couldnt justify calling it a holiday............my stress levels were through the roof.........with all the miver and meltdowns ect....

http://www.break-charity.org/go/holiday_centre.php

doesn't say prices or anything but Family Fund or other charities might help with the costs

*eta* I don't go on holiday any more either, for the same reason :(

Edited by mandyque

http://www.break-charity.org/go/holiday_centre.php

doesn't say prices or anything but Family Fund or other charities might help with the costs

*eta* I don't go on holiday any more either, for the same reason :(

I looked at the website and interested in the Nelson lodge, can the child be from anywhere in the UK its not just for the Norfolk area is it?

JsMum

I know it's not what you are looking for but in the sumer I took my son on a Calvert Trust holiday, I had to go with him but we got a bursary funding so it was a very cheap holiday, my daughter and boyfreind never came as that would of cost us an extra �500 pp. The first couple of days I found it a bit difficult as I was on my own dealing with him with other people with disabilities but overall and once I got chatting to other people it was great.

The disabilities were mixed, there was one other child dx with HFA, same age as my son and an adult who was autistic but most of the others had learning disabilities or were chair users. The set up was great two activities a day, brekky same time daily as was lunch and evening meal and then activities ofr the evening pub quiz, karaoke etc. The routine structure suited my son well.

Even though this holiday was me and son without additional help it truly was great and I did feel like I had a good break, even though at times it was hard work!!

There was a pool we could use with jacuzzi and steam room and there was also a bar with pool table and games for the evenings with very cheap drinks. My child and the other child flourished there and I would recommend it to anyone. There are a few Calvert Trusts darted about the country but we went to one in the south west. J's mum, this would probably be great for you and J.

The type of activities are horse riding, canoeing, sailing (which we hated), rock climbing, abseiling etc.

Melowmeldrew whist I was on holiday there was another guy who had taken a young adult with learning diffiecultes there, he was a respite worker, I wonder if this is something you could look into, ask s/s to fund someone to take your child there? >:D<<'>

We've decided this year if we can save enough we are going to try and get a villa with a pool so we can have a family holiday. Another great break away we had last year was a break on the Norfolk Broads on the river in a very cheap lodge that we got for a great deal on e-bay, my son loved it and was in his elemant as he loves fishing!!!

Edited by stressedmumto2

we went to dorset this year and it was a small camp which had soft play and a swimming pool which ds loves

we also took my step mum with us which was a big help

also the site we were on was a country setting with lot of woodland walks and also a fishing lake DS loved it there as did his big sisters as they could go out and about by themselves

the only problem we have is that we have to stay with the same firm for the charters (found that out last year to our cost)

so looking at going to the same site next year

we already have the brocher here and DS thinking he is going on holiday all the time