Mumble

Energy Saving Light-Bulbs

Canopus i mean the low energy ones.

I dont know if i believe it or not, don't know enough about it.

nic

on the subject of these bulbs

i had some given free to me a few years back and i went round the house putting them in........................but i couldnt get over the fact they seemed so dark and gloomy so i have to admit the light was depressing me so i changed back..............

now i have heard lately that they are going phase out the other types..................

but today when i opened the paper i found this big article about them....................tbh im a bit disturbed by it as you can see MERCURY is being used in them................now im not happy about this at all...............what do other folk think?? :unsure:

Low-energy bulb disposal warning

Low-energy bulbs contain a small amount of mercury

Disposing of bulbs safely

The Environment Agency has called for more information to be made available on the health and environmental risks posed by low-energy light bulbs.

It says because the bulbs contain small amounts of mercury, more information about safe recycling is needed.

It also wants health warnings printed on packaging and information on how to clear up smashed bulbs in the home.

But a toxicologist has played down the risks, saying several bulbs would have to be smashed at once to pose a danger.

Toxic substance

Environmental scientist Dr David Spurgeon said: "Because these light bulbs contain small amounts of mercury they could cause a problem if they are disposed of in a normal waste-bin.

"It is possible that the mercury they contain could be released either into the air or from land-fill when they are released into the wider environment.

"That's a concern, because mercury is a well known toxic substance."

If you broke five bulbs in a small unventilated room then you might be in short term danger

Dr David Ray, toxicologist

Official advice from the Department of the Environment states that if a low-energy bulb is smashed, the room needs to be vacated for at least 15 minutes.

A vacuum cleaner should not be used to clear up the debris, and care should be taken not to inhale the dust.

Instead, rubber gloves should be used, and the broken bulb put into a sealed plastic bag - which should be taken to the local council for disposal.

Unbroken used bulbs can be taken back to the retailer if the owner is a member of the Distributor Takeback Scheme.

Otherwise, many local waste disposal sites now have the facilities to safely collect and dispose of old bulbs.

However, this advice is not printed on the packaging that low-energy bulbs are sold in.

Toxicologist Dr David Ray, from the University of Nottingham, said about 6-8mg of mercury was present in a typical low-energy bulb, which he described as a "pretty small amount".

"Mercury accumulates in the body - especially the brain," he said. "The biggest danger is repeated exposure - a one off exposure is not as potentially dangerous compared to working in a light bulb factory.

"If you smash one bulb then that is not too much of a hazard. However, if you broke five bulbs in a small unventilated room then you might be in short term danger."

Information campaign

Adrian Harding of the Environment Agency said: "More information does need to be made available by retailers, local authorities and the government to alert people to the best way of dealing with these products when they become waste."

Louise Molloy from the environmental group Greenpeace said that a public information campaign was needed in order to advise people how to dispose of low-energy bulbs safely.

But she added: "Rather than being worried about the mercury these light bulbs contain, the general public should be reassured that using them will actually reduce the amount of mercury overall in our atmosphere."

The lighting industry and the government say the risk of mercury pollution posed by low-energy bulbs is minimal.

Kevin Verdun of the Lighting Association said: "Fluorescent strips, like the ones used in garages and kitchens, also contain mercury and have been used for many years without poisoning anyone."

But he said that warnings on how to safely dispose of smashed bulbs "might" be put on packaging in future, if the government and the public demanded it.

This month shops in the UK will begin the process of phasing out traditional tungsten bulbs as part of a government plan to completely replace them by 2011.

Ministers hope that using the more environmentally-friendly bulbs will save at least save 5m tonnes-worth of carbon dioxide emissions every year.

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Bookmark with:

Delicious Digg reddit Facebook StumbleUpon

What are these?

SEE ALSO

Low-energy bulbs 'worsen rashes'

04 Jan 08 | Health

Low-energy bulbs 'cause migraine'

02 Jan 08 | Health

Switch off for traditional bulbs

27 Sep 07 | UK

Edited by rainbow queen

Yes thats what bothers me too rq - tried energy savers a few years ago & hated them so returned to incandescent, made myself go back to them last year, & now I find out they contain mercury? How come we've never heard of this before? I am NOT a happy bunny.

I am NOT a happy bunny.

:robbie: :robbie:

Cor, I've really started something with this thread - there was me thinking it would rapidly fade with a few peeps thinking "Mumble's gone off on one again" :rolleyes:

I'm guessing breaking five at once (I don't think I've ever broken a light bulb actually and I'm pretty clumsy) is pretty unlikely unless you put them in a chandelier that's prone to Phantom of the Opera style falling from the ceiling! :lol:

The solution is actually very simple - go back to candles and oil lamps. There's progress for you! :rolleyes:

I've recently witnessed a very similar discussion on an emailing list, and the candle suggestion came up there as well!

Haven't managed to read all the posts, so sorry if this has already been asked. :whistle:

My DH dreads the energy saving bulbs 'cos he says if you use them with dimmer switches they make a terrible humming noise that will probably drive him certifiably insane. Anyone know if that's true?

Ta. :P

~ Mel ~

Haven't managed to read all the posts, so sorry if this has already been asked. :whistle:

My DH dreads the energy saving bulbs 'cos he says if you use them with dimmer switches they make a terrible humming noise that will probably drive him certifiably insane. Anyone know if that's true?

Well my mum (so a very unreliable and slightly batty source of information :whistle:) says they can't be used with dimmer switches at all. But given what you've said there's a distinct possibility an electrician's told her he'll have to change her light fittings (for a huge cost) and she's believed every word he's said :lol: :lol: Erm, BTW, don't light bulbs 'hum' anyway??? :unsure::wacko:

I recently purchased a few, and didn't read the instructions on the box and put one in the living room which was on a dimmer switch. It killed the light bulb almost instantly!!! So I've got two rooms on dimmer switches using "normal" bulbs, and I'm using energy saving in the remainder of the rooms, as they need replacing. What I don't understand is the first 2 I bought from a DIY store cost �5.99 each. The next lot I bought from a supermarket were about 60p each on a buy one get one free offer - so about 30p each in the end? The bulbs look the same - same wattage etc and bayonet style - so why the price difference? I think the more expensive ones come on straight away - the cheaper ones flicker for a second first!!

I also find them rather gloomy. I didn't realise that it will be the only available type of bulb - so I too will have to change my light switches - but I can do that myself - must remind myself to turn off electric first!!!

Today I installed two low energy bulbs in a spotlight to replace reflector bulbs that constantly keep blowing. The bulbs are from Megaman and will directly replace a 60W R63 sized incandescent reflector with a screw cap base. They are specially shaped to look like and beam light like a reflector bulb. It takes a minute or so for them to warm up but are very bright when fully warm. The colour temperature is 3000K warmwhite and they appear whiter than an incandescent bulb in the third spotlight.