Mumble

Passport Photos

I know there's been a thread on getting kids pics taken for passports but I have a question about adult ones. The instructions say that I have to make sure the measurement of chin to crown of my head is between 29 - 34 mm. How do you do this? Do you have to get a set, measure it, re-do it, repeat several times?? I can see myself ending up with piles of too small/big photos!!

I know the sensible option would be to go to one of those high street ones that does it for you, but as I really hate having my photo taken this is an even worse option for me then spending lots of pound coins in photo booths.

Oh, and is a 'neutral expression' just straight lips?? :unsure:

Hi Not sure what you could do really, I know they are very strict on photos and what size your face should be also the background needs to be white. we did go to one of those booths in the supermarket which worked out well, it wasn't that bad really!

Hi Mumble,

I need a new passport, so I went to a photo booth last week as it happens. They are usually set up to fulfil passport requirements. I've just measured one photo now and the distance from chin to hair is exactly 34 mm - and my hair was in a particularly sticky - up mood that day! So as long as you line your face up properly as per the instructions , you should be OK. There are usually lines on the screen to tell you where your face goes - I had to position my eyes within the eye shaped holes on the screen. I was also able to preview the photo before pressing the final button.

And no - you aren't allowed to smile. I was so intent on keeping a straight face that I went to the other extreme and I have a very intense, scowling expression on my face. So the photos are really awful - I think I'll just not bother with a passport and stay at home - don't want anyone to see it! :lol:

K x

If you have it done in a photo booth, it should come out OK, provided you sit upright rather than lean forward.

You could always take a ruler and measure it to check.

"Neutral expression" means no expression, no smiling, how your face normally hangs when you aren't thinking about it, which is really difficult to replicate when you're trying to think about not thinking about it!

Hi.It is worth getting the photo right.It took us 3 attempts..back and forth to post office who were checking them for us last year. :wallbash::wallbash: Remember to take your glasses off too if you wear them.If you don't like the photo booth another option is to go to a photo shop that advertises a service where they will take a passport photo with a camera for you.That is what we did with Ben's last photo as we could not get him to sit still on his own in the booth.Karen.

We all went to a photographer. It was �10 each, but at least he measured them and got them right so I knew they would pass all the rules. Also he kept taking them until they were exactly right at no extra charge. After half a dozen attempts I had to concede that 'that's what I look like' :huh:

Even though a tenner sounds steep you have to weight it in the balance of how much more it would be if it was not exactly right in a booth (which is at least �6 a go if I remember rightly).

flora

Thanks everyone - I'll try a photo booth with ruler first (they're �3.50, Flora, at my station anyway). But I might have to go to a photo shop and a man with a camera - yeuch!! :( - at least though I will know it follows all the rules.

Whats happening with biometrics, does anyone know?

Dunno. I started panicking when I realised my passport needs doing now cause I thought I'd have to be arranging to have my eyes scanned and all sorts and was really worried about all the interaction, but it seems as long as it's a renewal, your old one hasn't run out and that you are still recognisable from the picture in it, there is no interview or anything else. You just have to fill in the form and take it to the post office for them to tell you what you've done wrong.

Dunno. I started panicking when I realised my passport needs doing now cause I thought I'd have to be arranging to have my eyes scanned and all sorts and was really worried about all the interaction, but it seems as long as it's a renewal, your old one hasn't run out and that you are still recognisable from the picture in it, there is no interview or anything else. You just have to fill in the form and take it to the post office for them to tell you what you've done wrong.

Thanks. Mr p's sis has issues with biometrics, but from a civil liberties pov & was prepared to forgo going abroad when her current passport ran out. So I suggested she renew it before expiry to gain another 10 years before she was limited to Skegness for her hols, so she did. This was last year tho, so I was wondering if they had upped the ante at all.

limited to Skegness for her hols

Gawd . . . anything has to be better than that. Bring on the biometrics and let me outta here!!!!! (with apologies to anyone who lives in Skegness . . . :P)

The only thing I haven't checked is their 'special arrangements for travelling to the USA'. But I'm not planning to go there at the moment, so not too worried.

Whats happening with biometrics, does anyone know?

I just read all the small print Pearl. It says:

"In the spring of 2006 we introduced biometric passports ... include a chip which includes the facial biometrics captured from the photo you send with your application"

I guess that's why they're so particular about exactly what the photo must be like. I was thinking I might be OK with the whole flashy thing now with my tinted glasses B), but of course you're not allowed to wear them!! :rolleyes:

im in the process of renewing mine it is so annoying!! They have sent it back saying i need it counter signed as i look nothing like the picture on my old passport 10yrs ago, well of course i dont i was 17!!!! Plus it is so expensive �72 :o and they have already cashed my check before ive sent it back :shame:

They have sent it back saying i need it counter signed as i look nothing like the picture on my old passport 10yrs ago, well of course i dont i was 17!!!!

Brooke, did you use the Post Office "Check and Send" service? I wondered if I should or not, I didn't know. Also how similar do the pictures have to be? :unsure: I was hoping mine were similar enough but you change in 10 years.

Apparently the "check and send" service is quicker.

I don't know how anyone can continue to look exactly like their photo for ten years. What happens if you change your hairstyle, colour or length as many women do, quite frequently? :unsure:

K x

What happens if you change your hairstyle, colour or length as many women do, quite frequently? :unsure:

I don't!!!! Haha! A benefit to being AS!!! :D:rolleyes:

no i didnt use the post office this time but i have for my children and it was very good they pointed out the bits that were wrong so i could change them and then i got the passports within 2weeks so it is worth it!!! I do look very different to my old photo!!! My hair is loads blonder and my whole fac e looks like its changed so i think thtas why they've sent it back. My dh got his renewed no problem as he hasnt changed too much!

I just read all the small print Pearl. It says:

"In the spring of 2006 we introduced biometric passports ... include a chip which includes the facial biometrics captured from the photo you send with your application"

I guess that's why they're so particular about exactly what the photo must be like. I was thinking I might be OK with the whole flashy thing now with my tinted glasses B), but of course you're not allowed to wear them!! :rolleyes:

Ooh thanks Mumble. I wont tell SIL they have her bios or she would probably burn her passport outside the Home Office!

Flashy thing :lol: Have you seen Men in Black?

Well I feel like a prize idiot!!! :wacko:

Passport doesn't run out on the 09 march 08, runs out on the 08 march 09 - I was reading backwards!!!!! :wacko: :wacko:

I have another year to make myself look like I did 10 years ago!!!! D'Oh!!! :lol: :lol: