rocketgob

What happens now?

Hiya all

Charlie (3) had his first assessment yesterday and it was decided that the initial diagnosis is that he is HFA but "not sure exactly where on the spectrum yet". We will be getting a report and then he is going for the four week block of assessments and also we have to go to some group thing for half a term to get help with day-to-day things. I was a little shocked, not at the fact he is on the spectrum but more that they told us straight away - I thought things would take a lot longer.

I am a bit in limbo now ... not sure what happens once the assessments are done. Has anyone here had a dx at such a young age before? He's only just turned 3 at Christmas :(

Sarah x

Hi Rocketgob.My DS was older before anyone became aware that he might have AS.

However it is a time of very mixed emotions getting a Diagnosis. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Allow yourself some time to take in the news.Karen.

Hi Sarah,

My yougest ds was thought to "possibly be on the spectrum somewhere" since he was 2yrs, but we got his totally "100% definitely on the spectrum" diagnosis on Monday - he was only 3 at the very end of November.

I know he is a high functioner (particularly compared to his 5yr old brother) but still he is a challenging little fellow! :rolleyes:

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> as I understand the shock factor when they tell you just like that, but at least they didn't drag it out for you and are giving you some help.

I wish I knew what came next too.............this time is so different from my other ds's diagnosis!

Nikki.

Thankyou for your replies and it is good to hear that are other little uns out there too! I was beginning to feel like a paranoid mother ... mainly due to people telling me he is just naughty and needs better control GRRRR!!! :wallbash:

allow all the information to sink in ,then contact relavant people and learn all you can about what the syndrome is and how it will effect your child and how to learn to cope with the challenges life will throw at you.knowledge gives you confidence and understanding,it will also help you to learn how to shut out gawping Joe public when your child displays a challenge for them. Remeber also that your son is a unique human being too. Keep chatting on here as well you get lots of support from people on here you an chat about anything,good days,bad days.