Sign in to follow this  
shortcake

Annoying habits

My lad has developed a new tick (part of his torrettes) he constantly sniffs really loudly. I feel really bad as yesterday we all sat down to watch the film Bridge to Terabithia (this was due to me thinking it may teach my brood that you dont always have to spend money to have fun!) and as well as his constant rambling throughout it such as "whats happening mum" "why has he got blue jeans on not black" "I know what is going to happen" and other comments that I give him a very quick answer to so it does not spoil the film for his sister he was CONSTANTLY sniffing. Now I know its not his fault and usually with his vocal ticks I can block them out but i hate the sound of sniffing and REALLY wanted to tell him to stop i was getting so wound up with the noise I had to leave the room and leave them to watch the film on there own I felt so bad but i couldnt help it. I was just wondering if anyone elses child had the same sort of thing and if they ever found any of these noises etc annoying?

Hi Shortcake

Your post brought back identical memories for me - I can cope with most of OJ's tics and to be honest the majority of them affect him more than they do me BUT the sniffing one I just could not handle!!!!!!! Luckily it did not last as long as some of them but I had to walk away from him or else I would have gone ballistic and I know that is not the answer cos they really can't help it

I think the worst one he's had recently was where he had to crack his jaw almost continually and after several days he was in so much pain he couldn't go to school - discovered that chewing gum helps that one.

Have to say also the running commentary and questions during a programme are the same as yours - I can laugh about it afterwards but he drives me and everyone else NUTS!!!!!!

understandingly Stella xx

ive mentioned this before on another thread becuase my son does the exact same thing.... at first i couldnt stand it and was sure he would move onto something else but it hasnt happened he has been doing it for at 1yr now!!!!!!!! I think ive learned to block it out as it doesnt really bother me anymore!!!!