Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

What's the rules......

Could one of the mods tell me what we can/can't post on the forum?

I mean specifically in terms of shop names, items we've bought,found helpful or used, holidays/sites, books, etc....I'm never quite sure what I can or can't post, what we can or can't name or what links are ok and which are not :unsure: .

Ta very much :D

Sorry it's taken me a zillion posts to ask :lol:

I must admit I'm never 100% sure whats allowed either. Once or twice I've ended up taking the attitude that if it isn't okay it will be edited. Other times I've deliberatly not mentioned bits. Have been tempted to give clues like the following too:

... from a long river.

... from the same place Weird Al got a Smurf TV tray.

... from what I do on my consoles.com

... from a store that needs to learn to look forward not just back.

Sorry getting carried away. I could have some fun with this. ;)

... from a long river.

Ah, Thames.com

I've given up shopping there - it either arrives wet or they substitute my order with a single worn black boot.

... from the same place Weird Al got a Smurf TV tray.

That'll be Smurfs 'R' Us

... from what I do on my consoles.com

Sit'n'squash.com

... from a store that needs to learn to look forward not just back.

Antiquesaren'tus.com

The guidelines say:

9. Posts, or links to websites advertising commercial sales or services may be removed or edited by the moderators if the main purpose is financial gain rather than the sharing of information. If in doubt please contact a moderator before making the posting. The moderators will have the final decision as to whether a post is suitable.

10. Posts should refrain from identifying schools, organisations or professionals without having obtained the prior consent of the individuals concerned. For the avoidance of doubt the moderators will remove any postings where there is any doubt that prior permission has been obtained.

11. To prevent any possible Libel or defamation claim being made against the forum or individual members it is important that members should refrain from using brand names in their posts. Any such postings will be removed without notice by the moderators.

So you can post about a product or professional in general terms, and if people want to know specifically who sells it and where you can get it from, that information should be shared by PM.

It's fine to share details about a book, but not to share a link to a supplier. Most people can track down a book supplier easily enough, and could PM you if they wanted to know where you got it from. You could mention if you got a particularly good deal, and share the name of the supplier by PM.

In reality it's OK to make a passing reference like, "I went to Tesco's today," or, "my favourite chocolate is Cadbury's Dairy Milk." Sharing information that is connected to autism is also generally, for example mentioning that a particular supermarket has expanded its range of GF/CF products, or that a particular company is supporting an autism-related charity. It's a very fine line, so if it seems inconsistent at times, it is because moderators are only human :o

If in doubt, please ask first, as it's impossible to keep up with all the posts. Like all members, moderators sometimes even reply to posts without reading them fully. Just because a moderator hasn't acted, doesn't necessarily mean it's OK. :)

Edited by Tally

because moderators are only human :o

Really?? And there was me thinking that mods were like teachers - that they got put away in the cupboard at the end of the day and let out again in the morning :P

Really?? And there was me thinking that mods were like teachers - that they got put away in the cupboard at the end of the day and let out again in the morning :P

re teachers: Ahhhh (self-realisation dawning)... is that why I'm such a slow-starter in the mornings then? Nowt happening until after 3 coffees.

It's cold and dark in the cupboard.

Blimey... that's a difficult one...

The 'rule' is that we cannot host direct links to commercial websites - i.e. a particular shop/site selling a specific product...

Generic products (i.e. where there are a number of manufacturers offering similar items or the items are available from a range of high street outlets) can be mentioned with fewer problems, and if it is a product widely available on the open market links to product details on commercial 'superstores' (i.e. amazon) can be okay because there is no implied imperative to buy from that source (books on autism come to mind as an example)

Sometimes it's not just the product but the context that makes it 'appropriate' or 'not appropriate' on forum... again, books are a good example... A really useful, commercially available 'handbook' on strategies/interventions that might help people with autism would undoubtedly be appropriate for inclusion in our resources section, but this wouldn't necessarily be the case for other books...

Similarly, given the number of children who are helped by GF/DF diets or Omega 3's , it would be unhelpful not to include some details on forum, but with more speculative interventions - and particularly those that 'tie-in' with expensive and EXCLUSIVE BM programmes, it would not be appropriate to allow direct links......

As you can see, it's a really difficult thing to 'call', and very much a case (for us) of weighing up the relevance/benefit of each such post on individual merit, but in most basic terms if the link is made by/or connects directly to someone or some service who/that is going to directly profit from any responses then we can't allow it...

An additional consideration arises when specific products or services are mentioned ... this can have really big implications for the administrators, and we have to tread really carefully. Even a really positive endorsement of a particular product/service can be problematic, because it may invite unfavourable 'challenges', or may lead to unfavourable comparisons with other products/services

Hmmm.... please don't take any of the above as an 'exhaustive' explanation... it's late at night and 'off the cuff'...

The most helpful thing I can probably say is 'if in doubt - ask before posting' and offer a reminder that the PM system can overcome all of those difficulties :)

L&P

BD :D

Ha - just posted this and seen that Tally's already done it far more succinctly/clearly :lol::lol:

Read her post - not this one! :D

Edited by baddad

Well, some of us are :whistle:

i didnt know ou was a moderator tally,god i spose that means im gonna start havig to be nice to you now :rolleyes: i make it a rule to treat mods with the upmost respect ;):D

Occasionally people have joined the forum just to plug a particular service or product - the rule is partly there to discourage such blatant advertising.

It is a difficult one to call, as the others have pointed out. Some brand mames, like supermarkets, and chocolate, are part of our everyday language - it seems a bit heavy handed to cut those casual references out. I must admit sometimes I have not been entrely sure whether to delete a name or not, as I can't decide if it's advertising or information sharing.

As has been said mods are barely only human.

Only one cup of coffee Simon? I need at least two pots of tea. :lol:

K x

what about advertising talks given by an author of a new book relating to autism? I know of one coming up soon, but can I put the details of the talk on the forum?

I'll send a PM to moderator with details first as it will be safer!!!

It sounds OK Michelle, ASD related events have been flagged up plenty of times on the forum, but yes, just pm the details to whoever is around at the time.

K x

is baddad plugging his official calendar against the rules then ;) and i think hes got shares in a kebab shop and an off licence cos he keeps on about kebabs and gin :o i think he should be moderated :P:lol:

is baddad plugging his official calendar against the rules then ;) and i think hes got shares in a kebab shop and an off licence cos he keeps on about kebabs and gin :o i think he should be moderated :P:lol:

I think he should be moderated too... Gives Tunbridge Wells a bad name! If i was you i'd ban him from the Greenwich meet - that'll show him!

:)