Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Loss of hearing

So I thought this was to do with the ear infection I had, but that has completely cleared up now. Yet it is still happening. It happens when I'm feeling overloaded, my hearing completely goes. You can tell they are talking as you see the mouth moving but no sound. My brain goes oversensitive and I just want to disappear into a small corner. I'm a bit concerned as it is happening more frequently, maybe I should bring it up with my mentor and disability adviser? I just want it to stop or become less frequent, it can be scary sometimes.

This happens to me when I get close to overloading. I think it's a coping mechanism to prevent me from getting completely overloaded and breaking down in tears, which is something I have never been allowed to do. It often helps me to see a way out of the situation, whereas with the sound, I cannot do that.

Try not to be scared by it. It's just your brain trying to get you through a situation.

It would be worth mentioning it to someone, because if they can help you find better ways to manage situations, it should happen less.

Hi.If you have had ear infections and have noticed a change in hearing since the infection it would also be worth asking GP to arrange a routine hearing test.The practice nurse may wel be able to do one.Karen.

It used to happen before I started uni, especially when I was working at a busy coffee shop over summer (which lasted all of 2 weeks). The couple of months before uni I was unemployed so was at home most of the time. At uni things have kind of escalated noise and stress wise as the year has gone on, good thing I have a notetaker so if I miss something because my hearing has gone then I will at least have notes :thumbs:

I'm the same - if i get overloaded i have to shut down one of the senses to get myself organised again - i quite often put down my head and shut / cover my eyes for just long enough to refocus. Or i focus on something else - usually twiddling my hair! - and block everything else out, until my brain can focus. Does that make sense?

This is something i've learnt to do as a way of coping - i used to just loose vision/hearing/touch/etc unexpectedly (my son still does), but i've figured out what are my stressers and i try to work around them.

:)

Sensory interventions are likely to help - but expert advice is necessary on this one though, too complex for post

good luck - access to the right assessments and treatments is very variable