ScienceGeek

Presentation!

I was earlier informed by email about my topic and partner for the presentation we have to give in March. Well I've been paired up with someone who barely attends, I've probably seen him maybe 2 or 3 times since the beginning of the year. The only thing I know about him is that he is in the uni american football team. This is not going to work well with a partner that is never there, luckily we both do 3 min slots so if he doesn't do anything at least I still get a mark for it.

I've always really struggled with presentations, mainly because they require standing up and talking in front of a load of people, I get so nervous it makes me physically sick. There was a whole briefing about making it interesting, not too slow, not too fast, making eye contact with all members of the audience at least once during the talk. I don't really make eye contact with people very often and find it really hard. I'm really not looking forward to this. :tearful:

I can't believe I'm stressing about it already, the presentation isn't until the last week of term, but still.... :tearful:

Edit: Oh yeah and we get marked down for lack of eye contact, but it hurts :crying:

Edited by ScienceGeek

Hi Science Geek.

Nerves are normal (many eminent actors suffer severe stage fright, apparently) A bit of adrenalin is useful to give you energy - the trick is to keep the nerves under control and not let them take over your whole body. Try some deep slow breathing (not too deep or you'll go dizzy). if any bits of you are tense, tighten them and release them again. Shoulders, neck and hands are usually where the tension is felt most.

Re eye contact: My drama teacher always told me to look at foreheads, or an ear - it's offputting to look directly into eyes when you're giving a talk. If you aim for another part of the face, to the audience it appears as though you're looking at them, especially if you're a bit far away. Try practising with someone you know well - they can give you feedback.

Good luck!

K x

Don't panic!!!

If you can get together with your partner for long enough to decide who's doing which part, that should be enough.

Are the audience the other students? In that case, they are not going to ask every single person whether you made eye contact. As long as your lecturer thinks you have been looking around at everyone, that should be enough. You could look at people's foreheads or noses. From that distance, they are not going to be able to tell that you are not looking into their eyes anyway. Of course, ensure that your lecturer is one of the people you look at.

Practice doing your presentation in front of your girlfriend. She can tell you if you need to talk slower/faster/more clearly, etc. You could even tape record yourself and listen to it.

Get it prepared as soon as you can, so you have a couple of weeks left to practice the actual presenting bit.

You could also share your concerns with your lecturer and ask for some advice.

I feel your pain SG, its my number 1 phobia & I have sleepless nights every Sep when I have to do library tours for new students.

Take courage from Mumble - I have no idea where the thread is, but she had to do one recently & despite being really nervous it was a triumph.

As far as I know it is in front of the rest of the class. I was looking through the other topics and it looks like I've got one of the more interesting subjects. I already know quite a bit about this as part of my research for the green party. I stood in the local elections this year for them :thumbs: I'm just worrying about it as I remember the last presentation I had to give and that was a complete disaster, I lost quite a few marks due to the lack of eye contact and for speaking too slowly. I really want to do well at this though, and don't want lack of participation from the other person to muck things up. Then again according to the list there is 40 people in our group and I've never seen that many since I've been there so the list will probably need tweaking anyway.

Hi Science Geek

My son had the same problem at college and after lots of practice to us and various other people he eventually became provicient. He also had partners with varying interest on even being on the course and in the end he used to make sure his part was done before worrying about the others.

Make sure your presentation is not dependant upon your partner just in case he doesn't turn up. My son got into lots of trouble because he had done all this work for his presentations only for some of his group to copy theirs from the internet (plagarism?).

I think looking people in the eyes could be translated into "not looking at the floor" a general look around the room stopping at someone may suffice.

Presentations do get easier and I think you need to relate to what is the worse case scenario if something went wrong? You did say your talk is for 3 minutes which if its a topic that interests you will fly by.

Lots of practice to friends and groups should help and good luck

Oh yeah and we get marked down for lack of eye contact, but it hurts :crying:

That is absolute nonsense (not you, the uni marking policy) :wallbash: :wallbash: It is pure discrimination, particularly when the uni themselves have mentioned AS to you. Do you have a disability unit you can take this up with? Well I wore my very dark blue glasses for mine and I will do in the future despite having lighter ones. It meant people couldn't see whether I was or was not making eye contact (I wasn't :lol:). If they kick up a fuss ask them what the objective is - is it presentation skills or communication of knowledge of a particular aspect of the course? This is the line I always take with teachers who mark down because it wasn't 'neat enough' even if the content is there. Mark the learning objective!!!!!

Sorry, slight rant over - that made me ever so slightly cross/annoyed/frustrated...

Oh, when you do do it, record yourself if you can to learn for next time (actually, if it's marked, the uni should record it to ensure consistency of marking and in case of dispute). I regret not doing this and will be in a similar position for the next time in terms of worries, because I have no memory of doing my presentation - it was a complete blur! :lol:

Someone make sense of this please!

Marking Scheme.

? A student not turning up to give a talk will get a mark of 0.

? An overall mark (%) will be given to all speakers on a particular topic and this

mark will go on the mark sheet for both speakers.

So theoretically if one student did really well and the other did badly the better students score would be dragged down by the other one? :unsure:

Or the worse student would get a better score because of the extra effort put in by the better student?

I'm not here to prop up some lazy american football jocks score for sure. :angry:

Edited by ScienceGeek

So theoretically if one student did really well and the other did badly the better students score would be dragged down by the other one? :unsure:

Or the worse student would get a better score because of the extra effort put in by the better student?

Yep, that's about it. And I guess if you complain they will reel off ###### about supporting peers and collective responsibility. If you think your 'partner' isn't going to do a fair share, I would be kicking up a right fuss now :fight::angry: - it will be too late afterwards, on this you need to be proactive. And if they say 'no' I suggest giving your 'partner' a small dose of food-poisoning* or phoning him in the morning and telling him it's cancelled* or 'arrange' for him to be injured playing football* so he gets zero and it doesn't pull your mark down (*note that these are jokes.... :whistle::devil:)

Yep, that's about it. And I guess if you complain they will reel off ###### about supporting peers and collective responsibility. If you think your 'partner' isn't going to do a fair share, I would be kicking up a right fuss now :fight::angry: - it will be too late afterwards, on this you need to be proactive. And if they say 'no' I suggest giving your 'partner' a small dose of food-poisoning* or phoning him in the morning and telling him it's cancelled* or 'arrange' for him to be injured playing football* so he gets zero and it doesn't pull your mark down (*note that these are jokes.... :whistle::devil:)

If he doesn't turn up for the lesson on Thursday then I will bring it up with my mentor. I have enough struggles without stressing out because of someone elses actions. We are only allowed to work on the presentation in the lesson.

Hi SG,

As Tally says DON'T PANIC !!!!!!!!

Preparation is the key as if I may suggest you could do a power point presentation then the audience can foucs on that rather than you. If this other guy is a keen sportsman, he may well be happy for you to take the lead, then you could co-ordinate and direct the presentation perhpas giving the longer for him to speak. Just noted that you have to work on this in lessons which is a shame, email such a wonderful thing and you could have communciated with your partner that way.

As for eye contact, mmmmmmmm, well we were always told (I used to run courses and workshops in my old life) not to make too much eye contact, but just to briefly scan the room to check everyone was ok and with you, ie no one looking confused or puzzled, understanding etc., also a) some eye contact can be intimating and B) in the multi cultral society we now live its not always accetable to look into peoples eyes.

Good luck SG

Clare x x x x