angel77

I might take up cooking

Only simple ones. I don't want to strain myself. :lol:

What would help too is simple cupboard ingreidents I should have in. Like flour and eggs.

I need healthy recipes too as Im on a diet.

Or simple meals which I can teach my kiddies....... They love cooking in the kitchen but slightly fed up of the box cookies. :oops:

Do you have any faves?

Angel.

Good luck!

I go through phases of wanting to cook...usually after spending a few hours watching one Nigella programme after another :lol:

It always wears off! I think it's because I don't actually enjoy it :lol: My mum and sister are fabulous cooks, and cook everything from scratch, but they get real enjoyment from it, and my sister likes nothing better than spending her day off from work baking.

If I do cook from scratch, tend to stick to Weight Watchers recipes, because I know they will be low in fat, and I either go on their website to find a recipe, or buy their books from Ebay, Amazon or charity shops. Try the library too :thumbs:

I'm a lazy ole so and so, don't take any notice of me! I was excited to read yesterday on the forum that you can buy ready made pancakes.

Edited by Bagpuss

Have recently taken up cooking myself, never really been interested before, but I enjoy it, even though I live by myself.

Spaghetti bolognese

450-500g packet mince (best to buy lean steak mince, but any will do . . . stay away from frozen though)

200g (ish) packet frozen chicken livers (adds richness and vitaminA, you won't be able to taste it), defrosted and chopped finely - best done wearing an apron, on a huge chopping board, with a really big carving knife . . . no reason why you can't use fresh either, but frozen is cheaper.

200g (ish) packet unsmoked bacon, chopped into small pieces

1 jar of well-known brand of Ragu Sauce (something that contains mostly tomato and few artificial additives is best)

1 onion (or more, depends how much you like onions!), chopped

1 leek (if you fancy)

Pepper, garlic and mixed dried herbs, if you fancy (some of the Ragu sauces already have a good flavour anyway)

Heat some oil in a LARGE frying pan or casserole dish. Add the mince and onion (and leek). Keep stirring it. After a minute or two, add the bacon.

When all the mince is browned, add the liver (and herbs, pepper and garlic) and then the jar of sauce. (Because the liver is chopped small, it will cook in the sauce fairly quickly.) Stir it, and leave the lid on while you cook the pasta. Stir occasionally.

Cook 50-75g pasta per person. Wholewheat is very good for you, but takes slightly longer to cook.

If you want to add veg like brocolli or carrots, cook it separately and add it when you add the jar of sauce.

The sauce should make about 8 portions. You can save the leftovers in the fridge or freezer for a quick meal another day!

Worth keeping a healthy supply of mixed dried herbs and spaghetti.

Here's one for tonight!

You can buy a packet of "value" flour for around 15p. Nowt wrong with it.

Pancakes

100g flour

1 egg

300ml milk

Mix the egg into the flour. Gradually stir or whisk in the milk. Should have a consistency like single cream! If lumpy, leave it in the fridge for an hour or so and then whisk again ;)

Heat oil in pan until really hot and smoking. If in doubt, pour in a little mix to check. Should immediately sizzle and start to cook.

Pour in mix and tilt the pan to spread it out as thin as possible.

Turn once it has cooked on the top to brown off the other side.

You probably need to add a little oil to the pan between each pancake.

thank you bagpuss and tally.

I will definately try the spag boll. its a bit late for the pancake mix, I already had bought ones and pancake bottle mix. I am never buying the bottle mixes again. The flour didn't blend atall and I had big lumps.!! The bought ones went down well.

Angel.

Theres a big long recipe thread somewhere with loads of scrummy stuff. I just know some cleverer person than me will find it for you.

Tally, I pour my pancake mix through a sieve to get the lumps out! :lol:

I do lots of cooking as part of life skills at school. Really simple recipes, most of them healthy. I'm making up a recipe book based around Letterland... this week it's the letter "n" and therefore "Naughty Nick's Nutty Nibbles" (the joys of alliteration). I'd be happy to forward the recipes I've compiled so far... once you get past the silly names they're great recipes. PM me if you'd like them.

Invest in some good cookbooks

Anneke Manning, Donna Hay, Stephanie Alexander, Bill Grainger, Nigella Lawson, Jamie Oliver, Margaret Fulton.

Magazines :notworthy::thumbs: by season whats in season

Make it fun

Fxx >:D<<'>

Im useless in the kitchen but even I cant mess up this recipe for blueberry muffins. It doresnt even involve weighing anything first.

11/2 cup of self raising flour

1 egg

1/2 cup of milk

1/4 cup of oil (I used vegetable)

1/2 cup of sugar

1 cup of bluberries

Bung all the dried stuff into a bowl.

Beat the egg and mix with oil and milk

Bung into the dried mixture

Mix loosely together, the lumpier the better.

Chuck in the blueberries and stir through.

Fill muffin tins 2/3 and place in oven (200) and cook for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

Good luck.

Angel here is a really easy one

puff pastry cut into squares

egg (beaten) used to glaze the edges of the squares

feta cheese

cherry tomatoes halved

rool out the pastry cut into squares mark a smaller square about 1.5 cm in

fill the middle of the square with some cheese and cherry tomatoes

put in a moderate oven for 15-20 mins (until the pastry has risen)

hey presto you have a lovely lunch

I have done big pastry slices and smallish ones and different fillings

Hayley likes glazing the pastry and putting the filing in.

I average about 6 squares from a normal pack of puff pastry

you can use most cheeses you can use olives peppers, most things you would think of putting on pizza

they are really easy

and great for when friends come round, very quick to prepare.

I will have a think about your store cupboard basics tonight.

I always have tomato puree, passata dried pasta rissotto rice cheese eggs flour frozen veg (the microwave packets) they are great as a quick lunch with some cheese sauce.

macaroni cheese is gorgeous if you do it the really fattening way

boiled, drained pasta, double cream and grated cheese all mixed and heated in a pot

a bit of nutmeg and it is sheer indulgence.

I love potatoes any shape or form and they are always an easy option.

even if you start off using store bought sauces for making lasagne you will soon get the hang of it and start making your own sauces.

I have usually got lasagne sheets, quorn mince and all the other bits for making the sauce then it is only about layering and preventing yourself eating it all in one night.

nic

thank you all.

I haven't started yet but I will soon....... I might start with those blueberry muffins, the kids will love that and it sounds so easy. Im sure once we start it will get easier.

Angel.