Sign in to follow this  
baddad

A SMALL CHANGE TO THE FORUM - please read

Hi all -

We noticed recently that the pinned 'Introductions' thread in general discussion was a bit hidden away for new members, and felt that it would serve everyone better if we put the WELCOME mat in a more obvious position. We all know that making that initial post can be quite a daunting prospect, especially if you're an internet virgin, and an introductions area is the perfect place for testing the waters, so with that in mind we're going to give it it's own designated area on the 'front page'...

The new area will be called MEET AND GREET and will hopefully appear at some point over the weekend.

We feel sure all will appreciate the many benefits of this change for new and established members alike.

Thanks for reading :)

Mod/admin team

Hi,

Will look out for the new changes. :thumbs: It sounds like a great idea. :thumbs:

Whilst your making changes would it be possible for you to put a birthday thread. I haven't noticed a thread dedicated to birthdays, so sorry if there is one, but I've only noticed the Who's celebrating their birthday at the bottom. I thought it would be nice to have a nominated thread so we could make a grander celebration. :thumbs:

Angel.

A quick 'bump'...

don't want anyone doing an impression of that mole character from Deputy Dawg later in the week:

'Wa' happened? Wa' happened?'

Hi Angel... The problem with birthdays and stuff is the board only throws up those who've listed their DOB and doesn't take any other factors into consideration... having a dedicated area would also depersonalise it, IYKWIM, and for such a specific agenda make the 'front page' look a bit cluttered. Casual posts in 'off topic' keep it fresh and current, which is really nice :thumbs:

The introductions area is different, because it's there to give new members a gentle 'in' to the forum and allow them to 'meet' members who have already got to that place where they share birthday's and stuff with their online friends.

Hope that makes sense :unsure:

L&P

BD :D

If your post has "disappeared," you may have moved it to the new Meet ad Greet folder :)

If it ain't there, then it weren't me!

A quick 'bump'...

don't want anyone doing an impression of that mole character from Deputy Dawg later in the week:

'Wa' happened? Wa' happened?'

Hi Angel... The problem with birthdays and stuff is the board only throws up those who've listed their DOB and doesn't take any other factors into consideration... having a dedicated area would also depersonalise it, IYKWIM, and for such a specific agenda make the 'front page' look a bit cluttered. Casual posts in 'off topic' keep it fresh and current, which is really nice :thumbs:

The introductions area is different, because it's there to give new members a gentle 'in' to the forum and allow them to 'meet' members who have already got to that place where they share birthday's and stuff with their online friends.

Hope that makes sense :unsure:

L&P

BD :D

Yeh, thanks I get it.

Thanks for the reply.

Angel.

Sorry, I'm being a bit slow, but I'm confused (easily done :rolleyes:)

Is the idea now that each new member starts their own thread on the forum 'doormat'? I have two questions:

1. Isn't that harder as a first-timer than contributing to an ongoing thread (could you do it as an archive - introductions 2006, introductions 2007, New introductions)?
  2. With the greater number of members joining, doesn't this mean that there will be a huge number of threads on the doormat? :unsure:

Sorry if I'm being daft :)

Hi Mumble,

Yes, every new member who wants to introduce themselves would start a new topic. I hope people don't find it too difficult. Many new members make their first post in a new thread anyway, because they need to ask a specific question. People don't have to post in it at all if they feel shy - it's not compulsory.

The old introductions thread wasn't particularly prominent, and many people didn't look at it at all, resulting in people joining and not being acknowledged by more than one or two people, (depending on the time of day!).

I suppose there will be a large number of threads as more people join, although judging by the old thread, not everyone who joins chooses to post an introduction.

We'll have to see how it works in practice. Like all changes, it'll take time to get used to, I expect. :)

K x

Hi.Even since the new thread started some people have chosen to post a bit about themselves in a topic they are contributing to rather than put a post on the ''doormat''.Which is absolutely fine. :thumbs::thumbs: Karen.

I know when I joined I didn't even spot the Introductions section, but then I didn't lurk for long, and jumped straight in :lol: .......think I said hi to everyone via somewhere else.....probably Off Topic, started as I meant to go on eh? :lol:

I like the new changes :thumbs:

:thumbs: Good thinking - I was always daunted by the sheer size of the old "Introductions" thread, and never really knew when someone new had added to it. You would always have to remember where you'd got up to last time you looked at it, and that just put me off checking it, something that's not exactly welcoming if you're a newbie. :shame: Replies from existing members, while being welcoming, just confused matters for me, in amongst the newbie posts. :blink:

:thumbs: Good thinking - I was always daunted by the sheer size of the old "Introductions" thread, and never really knew when someone new had added to it. You would always have to remember where you'd got up to last time you looked at it, and that just put me off checking it, something that's not exactly welcoming if you're a newbie. :shame: Replies from existing members, while being welcoming, just confused matters for me, in amongst the newbie posts. :blink:

yeah me too!!!

Hey - Hi Gordie - nice to see you again - have you been in hibernation?

Luv Witsend.

Well ... if you're looking at it that way, you'd have to say I've been in hibernation several times over the 4� years I've been a member here!

Whenever I'm on-line, I have so many other things to catch up with, whether it's Facebook, the chat site I've used for years, e-mails, or various other sites, meaning some places get rather neglected. And as this forum seems to primarily consist of parents of those with ASDs (though not exclusively, by any means), and as it now has hundreds if not thousands of members that visit regularly, it's dropped down on my list of priorities. It was easier to keep up with when there were fewer members to keep track of, and I knew more of the people that were here. Discussions can get quite "deep" and "heavy" at times as well. So, in recent years, I've just popped in occasionally to get a general idea of what's been happening. :)

Edited by Gordie