Bard

Anyone heard of Ros Blackburn?

She's apparently an autistic woman who is speaking on the subject of managing ASDs in the mainstream classroom, and I've had her recommended by NT teachers as someone worth listening to.

So, oh my wise and erudite friends, what do you know about her?

Edited by Bard

We had a place booked at a Ros B talk, and missed it due to DH needing emergency dental treatment....kinda sums up life here at Baggy Heights......always having to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances......our life is just one big unforeseen circumstance.....

Heard she was very good tho Bard :thumbs:

Edited by Bagpuss

If I had brains I'd be dangerous. :rolleyes:

She is ONLY one of the key speakers at the Blackpool transition conference I've booked on! (I posted details here a few weeks back)

I'll take notes :thumbs:

Yes, she's in her late thirties now. She was diagnosed as severely autistic (including severe language delay) at a very young age (1??), but now as an adult has overcome many of her issues (although of course still autistic) and talks about her experiences and perceptions to help teachers especially understand what it's like to live with autism. I've never met or heard he speak myself but from others I know who have (she's done a fair bit in my area) opinions (NT opinions that is) range from her being 'quite normal but a bit odd' to 'very odd'.

When Sigourney Weaver was researching her character in Snow Cake, mannerisms etc., she spent a long time with Ros, learning what the autistic experience was like. From an AS perspective, I think the portrayal in that film is excellent, so somewhere some understanding has got through.

If I had brains I'd be dangerous. :rolleyes:

She is ONLY one of the key speakers at the Blackpool transition conference I've booked on! (I posted details here a few weeks back)

I'll take notes :thumbs:

:lol: :lol: That'll be why you've heard her name then!!!! That did make me laugh!!

Looks as if I ought to give it a whirl then! Thank you all, got to hand over the computer to a daughter with a Drama thingumajig to do before tomorrow.

Night night! >:D<<'>

Hi Bard -

I attended a talk by her Monday night (her birthday, BTW - what a birthday treat for her to talk to a room full of parents/teachers!)...

She is very 'sharp', very funny and very interesting... has some views on autism that some would find 'challenging', but which for the most part I strongly agree with (about the importance of not making autism an 'excuse' and the (opportunity limiting) dangers of failing to teach our children social necessities at every opportunity)...

Feel free to PM me if you're after more info, including contact details if you were thinking of booking her or something.

FWIW some of what she said even gave an old vet like me pause for thought, which can't be a bad thing. :lol:

L&P

BD :D

She often gives talks in my area but I've never managed to go to any of them yet. I'd like to though, I've heard very good reports about her.

K x

She talked at my residential weekend for the Special Ed course in Autism in B'ham Uni. I found her fascinating. At times its hard to reconcile that the eloquent woman on stage is autistic - at other times its very very obvious. I have to say after hearing her talk about her experiences, it made it a lot easier for me to differentiate between Logans learning difficulties, and his autism.

Lynne x

I've seen Ros talk a number of times, both at Birmingham like Lynden and through local talks, and I can thoroughly recommend her.

She frankly admits to being not very PC and she gives a very revealing insight into what autism means to HER, ie she doesn't give a global view, it's all about her experience.

I agree with what others have already said; she can appear to be very high functioning but I believe she still describes herself as being 'low-functioning' because she still has difficulties with self-care (dressing etc).

she also appears extremely verbally competent, but for example has great difficulty reading. She uses the payment for her talks to fund her obsession for trampolining.

don't want to give it all away, but DO go and see her if you can. I've also seen Wendy Lawson talk, again through Birmingham University, and she is also vvvv interesting and quite different to Ros.

Both offer a mix of the humourous and serious and are extremely interesting. It's fascinating to get an 'inside view'.

Hope that helps

Lizzie xx

Thank you for all the responses. She's talking to a group of schools in my area in April, so I'm going along now.

Signed up and everything. :D

I think the more adults with ASDs that start talking to 'the professionals' the better. We've had opinions from them for long enough. Even if I don't agree with some of what she has to say, and I may be totally on board with it all, I think the more we listen, the greater the understanding that may develop. I'm going to start persuading :ninja: colleagues to come now!

Thank you for all the responses. She's talking to a group of schools in my area in April, so I'm going along now.

Is it only for practising teachers? I'd like to hear her.

Is bard still practising? she's been at it for years - you'd have thought she'd got the hang of it by now! Honestly - you just can't get the staff!

:devil:

Is bard still practising? she's been at it for years - you'd have thought she'd got the hang of it by now! Honestly - you just can't get the staff!

:devil:

They keep changing the rules, moving the goalposts and reinventing the wheel.

I'm also practicing staying sane.

It's not a public talk, it's for a specific group and the numbers are limited. I asked my head about a visitor.

If there is not enough take up by the teachers/TAs and LSAs, then there might be a spare seat that you can have. I'll keep you posted.

If there is not enough take up by the teachers/TAs and LSAs, then there might be a spare seat that you can have. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks >:D<<'>