peppa

ed psych visit

Hi haven't been round much lately, just dont get much chance at the mo! Hope everybody is ok.

Just got a query,

School expressed concern just before xmas that dd seemed to be struggling in class,(reception class) and that they would therefore be asking ed psych to come in and assess to see if there was anymore they could be doing for dd.

Ed pscych assessed dd in school on the 16th january, then had a meeting afterwards with dd's teacher and her old nursery teacher which we were told we weren't invited to!

When i'd spoke to dd's teacher afterwards, all she could tell me is it went fine and i should recieve a report from ed psych in the post, which i still haven't recieved!

Needless to say i'm left feeling more than a little frustrated! I don't have a phone number for the ed psych and don't really know where to get it from, i've looked on the net and there is an address but no phone number for her.

Hoping dd's teacher can give me number.

The ed psych has only ever seen dd once before at SCAT clinic and spent less than 5 mins with her, also she has never corresponded with us as parents, therefore my concern is what exactly came from her assessment of dd, and how could she make a true assessment without involving us as parents to discover what is normal behaviour for dd.

Is this usual procedure for ed psychs?

Dd's teacher is usually helpful but couldn't understand why no other information was given to us regarding this visit, iv'e tried talking to the teacher but she is often quite busy and says i can catch her at the end of school then isn't there when kids come out! Going to try and chat with her today when i collect dd from school.

Any advice would be very appreciated, don't really know what i should be doing next other than making a nuisance of myself with dd's teacher.

Hi peppa.I think the EPs are usually employed by the LEA and may be based in one of the council offices.I think that parents usually have a right to talk to the EP...especially if they have seen your child.It may well be worth phoning the LEA or the officer at the LEA responsible for SEN/Statements.If you have a name of the EP you may well be able to contact them that way if you are assertive.

Schools have to pay the LEA for EP visits....so they do not always go out of there way to promote EP involvement. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think it is reasonable to expect to be able to give a parental perspective to assessments and to recieve feedback.Karen.

Hiya,

I don't really know what is 'normal' but in my experience I have spoken to the Ed psch on the phone to give various updates/get her thoughts, exchanged emails, and been given feedback after each school meeting. I've then had the report faxed to me so that I get the information before the school does.

I would ask the school for the Ed Pschs phone number, they must have it. Then just phone the Psch, say you're aware she's been into school etc and was wondering when she might want some additional info from yourself?

I'd personally feel really aggrieved if I'd had no comms with the Ed psch - I may have just been lucky with mine , but I do feel they should have some input from you.

Good luck >:D<<'>

You should have access to them but don't wait until you are 'given permission'. Phone the Education Services and ask. I recently emailed the EP in the old area we lived to see what information they had. They answered within a couple of days.

You are the parent, you have the right to know and if they won't volunteer the information demand it...look at the school records etc. Also if they are trying to prevent you finding the information my first question would be 'what are they trying to hide?'

Thanks everyone, i really didn't know where to start!

Ive phoned the council offices and they managed to find her phone number for me, i gave it a call and just my luck she's out of the office till tuesday.

Ive left a message for her to contact me, so i guess i'll wait and see.

Didn't get the opportunity to talk to dd's teacher, and schools finished for half term now so have to wait on that one, hopefully i'll get some information soon.

Thanks again.

peppa

this happened to us last year the ed psych (principal one) went into nursery,observed dd for 2 hours (yeah whatever) then provided nursery with a report and not us and didnt even ask for our imput.

needless to say we kicked off, she met with us, poo poohed our concerns of asd even though the cdc in their asessment had said yes showing signs and discharged herself from dd.

YOU have a right to speak to the psych and give your input, we quoted code of practice at ours and eventually she admitted that dd had a language problem and she got an ICAN place.

its bad practice for any ed psych to do this and they know it.

like another poster suggested i would phone her and ask her would she like your input of your concerns as your dc,s parents?

Hi jenrose, thats not a bad idea, think i'll try quoting code of practice if i don't get reply and answers from EP, thing is dd was diagnosed last march and weve still not had any correspondance with EP regarding dd. She co- ran the earlybird course we attended late last year, but never really got chance to discuss dd individually with her, which we were told would happen?

Thing that concerns me is that teacher expressed concerns that dd was stuggling in some areas, and she's with dd five days a week, then EP sees dd for all of half hour if that, as far as we know, and as she apparantly said dd is fine nothing further has happened.

I always let the teacher know how dd is each morning and if there is anything she may be anxious about and teacher seems quite tuned in to dd and co-operative, and open to my suggestions, just seems strange that nothing seems to have been suggested to help dd in the areas she is struggling.

DD's behaviour is good at school, but just because she's not kicking and screaming doesn't mean she's coping, she does appear to withdraw from the usual loud and chatty behaviour we get at home.

Don't know if i'm worrying unduly or if she's just learning what behaviour is expected at school and doing her best to conform, which is a good thing, arrgh i'm confused which is why i'm probably so aggravated at the lack of contact with EP.

Guess i'll just wait and see if she gets my message and returns my call on tuesday, then take it from there, i'll keep you posted, thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, it really is appreciated.

Ed psych called, explained that i still hadn't recieved any info regarding the outcome of her visit to dd's school, she seemed quite suprised that teacher couldn't tell me more, then said the writing of the report regarding the visit is on her list of jobs for this week so i should recieve it early next week.

She said she had observed dd whilst in art area where she seemed happy and settled, then in group areas and circle time where dd complied well and knew the routine of the classroom and seemed to cope very well.

I explained that dd cope's well with structured time but that there were concerns regarding unstructured time and group interaction, EP said she was pleased with dd in group situation as she behaved well, didn't really comment on how her interaction was. She also said that as the school have a good buddy system going where the older children support the younger children through lunch times etc, dd seemed to cope well in this area as well.

EP said that at present she is happy that dd is coping well in mainstream without additional support and that if i have any concerns that she may be having difficulties in any area to contact her, she feels that teacher should continue to monitor, and we should review when dd is due to move to the next class year as the workload will be more intense and see what can be put in place to help dd.

I was fairly pleased with this outcome, and very pleased that she seemed confident that the school are doing their best for dd, and she's coping well, I'm going to try and chat with dd's teacher when they go back to school and find out more from her what she thought, but hopefully all is well at the mo!

Toms' Senco organises meetings at the end of each term inviting Myself & hubby, head of current class (now reception), Ed psych, speech therapist, portage worker, Paediatrician (who never attends but I think he's a waste of space anyway!!), Toms' ASD pathways worker, Toms' PA and of course herself.

I thought this was standard with a child with social / communication / behaviour problems (We have no dx yet!) In mainstream school - Or have I just really got lucky with my choice of schools.

I also recieve EVERY report in the post within 2 weeks of assesment & have never been told I couldn't attend an assesment.

When dd was in nursery, her teacher and portage worker used to arrange this.

But we no longer have portage involvement and reception teacher hasn't arranged anything since dd started reception class.

Might be worth me asking teacher if this can be arranged as i found it very helpful in knowing exactly where we were with things and that everyone was on the same page regarding dd.

Senco left at christmas so i have yet to be introduced to whom ever is taking over the role.

Despite dd's teacher being supportive she does seem quite preoccupied, and i supppose i am feeling a little frustrated with it all. i just wish there was a little more communication between the so called professionals, think i probably need to be a bit more pushy with things.

Its hard knowing what level of support and involvement we should be getting, as no one really tells you, i just know that at present i feel more than a little frustrated, however EP sounded posotive so i can take some comfort in that.

DD is back at school on tuesday so i think i'll be making a point of speaking to her teacher and requesting a meeting with all involved.

Peppa.Even if things appear to be going ok and EP was helpful it is worth making sure that any support provided is documented.If school have not recorded any input in an IEP and documented intervention on the SEN register at SA then it may be difficult to push for more support if it is needed later.Don't let things drift because there has been a change of SENCO.It is worth being pushy at times. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Karen.

Thanks karen, think your right, think i've been waiting for them to make a move first and it ain't really happened so i'll definatley be keeping a closer eye on things and requesting written records. thanks everyone for your input it really is appreciated.

Just a little update really.

Well no suprise the ed psych report still hasn't arrived so i'll be on the phone again tomorrow!

Managed to have a good chat with dd's teacher and it appears she is also still awaiting information from ed psych, she is also trying to contact all proffs involved and arrange a meeting.

DD's teacher stopped me today to voice concerns that dd is struggling accademically at present, and that she feels this needs addressing by ed psych, and that she felt ed psych didnt really take this on board when assessing dd before, she only really looked at how dd was coping following instructions and socially and as she was compliant to requests and able to make small choices that everything else was fine.

She said dd,s behaviour at school has changed recently, as in she is beginning to challenge teachers and become more distracted and withdrawn, and she feels this is due to dd not coping with the current workload.

DD,s teacher is very willing to make necessary changes to support dd and is also trying to chase up ed psych.

She suggested the possibility of considering statementing as it seems more evident from her point of view that if dd is struggling at this stage it may well be needed even more so as she progresses through school. At present dd is relying very heavily on the teaching assisstant within the class, who is supporting dd where possible, which therefore suggests dd needs more one to one.

I don't know where to start really regarding statementing, but recall reading the process tends to be quicker if initiated from parents rather than school?

Any info would be really appreciated.

Thanks karen i'll have a good look through this.

SENCO rang me today and has arranged a meeting for tomorrow morning to discuss what can be done at the moment,

didn't manage to get hold of ed psych so i'll keep trying!!

Thanks karen i'll have a good look through this.

SENCO rang me today and has arranged a meeting for tomorrow morning to discuss what can be done at the moment,

didn't manage to get hold of ed psych so i'll keep trying!!

Peppa it would be worth going along in the morning with some ideas about what you would like school to be doing.Also it is probably being straight with the SENCO if you are considering asking for a Statutary Assessment yourself.It helps with the process if the SENCO is supportive.

I hope the meeting goes well.Karen.

Meeting went well this morning, spoke with both SENCOS (divided between two teachers depending on year group), they are working together to get immediate help for dd. They contacted ed psych again to chase up report and were told she is 'chasing it up'! So we'll give it the week and see. They are also contacting all other proffs involved to set a review meeting of dd's current needs, and contacted a occupational/educational support officer, to come in and assess dd, set for three weeks time.

We discussed all concerns, and the possibility of statementing which we all agreed will likely be needed to get the correct level of support for dd.

Both SENCOS and dd's teacher have been very supportive and appear dedicated to helping move things forward, they are open to our suggestions and have already made changes within the classroom to help dd just from our chats in last couple of days.

So at the moment i'm really pleased, and hopefully things can move forward.

Peppa it would be worth going along in the morning with some ideas about what you would like school to be doing.Also it is probably being straight with the SENCO if you are considering asking for a Statutary Assessment yourself.It helps with the process if the SENCO is supportive.

I hope the meeting goes well.Karen.

Thanks karen xx

Arrghh!! DD is really beginning to struggle, we have started a home school diary to keep a closer eye on dds behaviours as she is really showing anxiety at school and at home in many ways.

SENCO spoke at length again to ed psych and she stated that she didn't feel the Occupational/education support was the right person to assess dd at present, so her visit has been cancelled. Ed psych has asked school to observe dds behaviours socially and academically and get back in touch with results after the holidays, when she will review and decide what the next actions will be.

I'm feeling rather annoyed about this as it is just more and more waiting with no guarantee that any action will even be taken at the end of this. We still haven't recieved the elusive report despite school pushing and myself.

What do i do now, trust ed psychs judgement (although i have no faith in her whatsoever now) or do i start the statementing process myself?

Hi peppa I think whether you decide to request a Statutary Assessment yourself or hang on a bit all depends on how much confidence you have in the EP.I am wondering though and thought it worth mentioning in case you do not know....the EP is employed by the LEA so it is possible that the LEA is applying pressure to the EP to encourage him/her not to rush into a course of action that could lead to assessment.I have no idea if this is the case but it may be worth consideration. :wallbash::wallbash:

If you request an Assessment too soon and the request is turned down on the grounds that the school have not done enough using delegated funding or because the LEA consider that a Statement is not needed then you can make another request after a certain period of time....a year I think.So it is worth considering whether it is worth the risk of being refused

Edited after checking information.It appears to be six months and not a year before another request can be made for Statutary Assessment.Parents have a right to appeal to SEN tribunal if a request is refused and a previous request has not been made in the last six months.

So it may well be a case of deciding what the best option is for your situation peppa...sorry I cannot be clearer. :) Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Thanks Karen, i wasn't aware and never thought about it from that perspective, i'm still learning how the system works really, it can be so confusing.

Its hard knowing what to do for the best really. I just want to do all i can for dd.

I think maybe if i can get the report that might help make things a little clearer. Its great to get advice from people in the know! thanks.