ScienceGeek

Family on the spectrum

My GP told me to do some research into wether any of my family are on the spectrum. I found out a lot more than I thought, I knew that several cousins and a couple of uncles went to the special school but not why. I found out that 2 of my uncles, and 7 of my cousins have AS and several cousins have adhd, plus second cousins that are autistic. We think that my dad might have adhd and dyspraxia. Funny what a little research digs up :lol: So is it common to have many people in the same family on the spectrum?

I think it's unusual to have so many relatives on the spectrum, although it does sound like you have a huge family anyway. I only have 7 cousins altogether and I don't even know my second cousins at all!

We think my dad and my mum's brother probably have AS, although neither has sought assessment. My mum's other brother is quite geeky and very flat-spoken, and their mum has a few aspie traits. My mum has some sensory weirdness, but no other aspie traits. Don't know much about my dad's family, but his aunt was raving eccentric. One of my cousins was statemented for SEN, but not autism-related as far as I can tell.

I think it's unusual to have so many relatives on the spectrum, although it does sound like you have a huge family anyway. I only have 7 cousins altogether and I don't even know my second cousins at all!

We think my dad and my mum's brother probably have AS, although neither has sought assessment. My mum's other brother is quite geeky and very flat-spoken, and their mum has a few aspie traits. My mum has some sensory weirdness, but no other aspie traits. Don't know much about my dad's family, but his aunt was raving eccentric. One of my cousins was statemented for SEN, but not autism-related as far as I can tell.

Yeah I have a huge family. On my mums side I have about 35 cousins and 12 second cousins.

Hello Science Geek

From casual enquiries ASDs seem to have a family connection. On a personal note, my son and neice both have Asperger Syndrome, my nephews have ADD and dyspraxia respectively and my husband is seeking diagnosis for an Autistic Spectrum disorder which we believe contributes to his mental health problems. My neice is a great support to my son.

All the best

My other 2 boys definately have aspie traits...my Dad is one of 9 and 3 of his brothers are erm...a little eccentric in their ways as he indeed is but in my generation(their kids) none of us are on the spectrum.However in my kids and my cousins kids generation we have so far...5 ADHD,1 Dispraxic,1 Autism and 2 Aspies!!!!(All are boys too..) Mind you we do have rather a lot of cousins etc :lol:

My other 2 boys definately have aspie traits...my Dad is one of 9 and 3 of his brothers are erm...a little eccentric in their ways as he indeed is but in my generation(their kids) none of us are on the spectrum.However in my kids and my cousins kids generation we have so far...5 ADHD,1 Dispraxic,1 Autism and 2 Aspies!!!!(All are boys too..) Mind you we do have rather a lot of cousins etc :lol:

Wow, big family like mine. My mum is one of 9, and out of the 9 about 6 of them have had 5+ kids. There have been suspicions that more of the family are on the spectrum, the ones in my post are just the ones with a dx. My family are fun though :thumbs:

Wow, big family like mine. My mum is one of 9, and out of the 9 about 6 of them have had 5+ kids. There have been suspicions that more of the family are on the spectrum, the ones in my post are just the ones with a dx. My family are fun though :thumbs:

:lol: Sounds like our lot !! I have 29 cousins most of whom have 3 or more kids(one has 6!) and our family has lots of gatherings so its always chaos..but we're used to that :thumbs:

Well I have a titchy tiny family but, oooh yes, things do seem to run in families. SBC the OGB talks about generation skipping as well which is very interesting.

Me - AS, dyspraxia, alexithymia, fruitcake, weird ...

My brother is ASD,

My father I've not had contact with for years but is most definitely AS/HFA (didn't speak at all as a child??)

My father's father (dead now) - I only remember his temper if you went near his 'collections' - wouldn't have been dx'ed in those days, but probably was.

My father's mother (dead now) - erm, odd! Would have given that hoarder guy off the Life of Grime a run for his money!

My mother - less said the better, would prob be dx'ed ASD - no understanding of non-literal language, humour, very particular about how things are to be done, has worn the same clothes for the last 10 years (and looks like it, but says other clothes 'hurt'), incredibly upset by rule-breaking, prefers not to talk (no kidding)

My mother's parents were dead before I was born. I don't have any aunts, uncles, cousins, etc...

My sister - switched at birth - it's the only possible reason for her normality, although she's recently been been flagged up on her social communication skills and denied a fantastic opportunity because of it :angry: :angry:

Guest Lya of the Nox

i dont like delving back it hurts way too much :crying: ,

but my bruv was at a spec school and was daig adhd, in them old days was hyperactive

there is a 2nd cuv on hubs family with a similar diag, but i know it has come from my side

i am just of the seriously nutty, loopy variety

x

Huge family again - (Catholics :rolleyes:)

My brother was the 1st Dx with dyspraxia - since him 8 cousinns have the same Dx. We pushed for the generation above to get tests - 3 aunties Dx dyspraxia - 1 dyspraxia + As. Then we asked my Nan to go through testing and she has Dx. I definatley think there is something hereditory!

Oooh big families :clap:

My dad was one of 13, my mum one of 7, I have 38 cousins

Mr p is one of 6, his dad one of 7, we have twixt us 12 nephews & neices.

The whole spectrumy rainbow there. My cousins boy dx'd Aspergers, lots of older ones who these days would probs be dx'd, & lots of traits (sorry Mumble know you dont like the word but I cant find a subsititute!)

Family holidays are both wonderful & terrible. We were watching the Sopranos last night (finally found its way to terrestrial) - remember the drunken board game at the log cabin? Nuff said! :lol:

i too have a big family. On my mums side there is possibly 2 on the spectrum poss. as. On my dads side ......... here we go :rolleyes: my grandad we suspect was on the spectrum and defeintly his sister (she spent the family fortune on gambling :tearful: and it was a massive fortune) , my dad (although he would NEVER admit it), my dads eldest brother defeintly was and dyspraxia to boot his son has adhd and asd, my brother has adhd and mental health problems although he wouldnt let anyone assess him he has been a nightmare. my second cousin has adhd and as. Js dad i now no has some sort of asd and his mother.

Edited by rach04